Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Troubles!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 7, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Ok everyone, heres my new problem. I went wheelin today and the truck was runnin great, until I went through a mudpit just once and stalled. I couldnt start it right away, took a few minutes. After that, when I punch it, it has no power at all anymore. I pulled the carb, took it apart, cleaned it up and it still does it. It idles beautifully, just acceleration sucks right now. Any ideas??
    Could the water of shorted out the module or something electrical??
    74 K5, 350cid....Edelbrock Performer intake and carb

2. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Does it cough, stumble or sputter went you gas it?

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. I'd check the fuel filter(s).

Did you get in deep enough to get water in the fuel tank somehow?

3. Waxer

It doesnt cough or anything like that. Just no power, or power with hesitation. I'll hit the gas and I'll take off, then I'll slow down, then more power, then less power. Like something is restricting it. Maybe its the fuel pump going out. Like it has enough pressure for a good idle, but when I hit the gas and it needs to pump the gas, it cant keep up. I dont know. The water wasnt that deep at all. I just have a 3" body lift and my whole engine is exposed.

4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Try this...we call it slamming. Occasionally a piece of dirt will enter the fuel system and plug up a jet. We use the vacuum to pass the dirt. With the engine warmed up, run it up to about 4500 rpm or so. Then with the throttle still open, close the primary butterflies and the choke (if open). Let the motor almost stall out. Lastly, allow the butterflies to open and run back up to 4500 rpm or so. Repeat this procedure 3-4 times and take a test ride. This procedure as worked several times on the track when I’ve encountered similar problems. Good luck, hope this works.

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Could it have jumped time?

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. Waxer

jumped time eagle??

If you mean skipped a tooth on the timing chain, I just replaced the timing chain 2 weeks ago with a new double roller.

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, symptoms sounded familar...

2B1ASK1

8. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I thought the same thing. But this is a chevy, not a dodge..no nylon gears.

9. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Maybe pull the plugs and do a compression check on all the cylinders.Just too rule out internal damage.It doesn't take very long

10. Waxer

I took apart the Edelbrock Performer 600cfm Carb after I got home. It had a lot of crap inside of it. The carb is only a month old, nevertheless it had a lot of crap in it. I took apart the primary and secondary venturies. Sprayed em all down with carb cleaner, cleaned out the bowl, sprayed the jets real good. Put it all back together and it idles beautifully. Just the acceleration is still inconsistent. I'm thinking it might be electrical. Could the water of caused the module to short somewhat? This is also a month old distributor, with all new internals. Damn I hate going through mud.

11. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Did you bottom out in the hole? Sounds like it could possibly be an exhaust restriction, or depending what kind of pipe you run, some of the old exh. pipe was double walled and when it got hot and then wet it cooled down so fast that the inner pipe actually collapsed. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a timing chain get loose enough to jump a tooth?

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, I have an Olds Delta 88 1978, stopped at a stop sign and took off real quick and it died, got it going but no power at all, idled great , just no power, unless you babied the throttle it would eventually go,after doing what I could I tried several mechanics till one threw a light on it and low and behold it was off, he adjusted thew best he could and cautioned me it would do it again, which it did, then I tore it down and replaced the chain and gears, what a difference.
    Ya see one of the things we don't notice is the gradule decline of parts prior to failure. like , timing chain and gears, distributor module,front end parts, and starter. Till one day they just go bad and we are stuck, these things give us warning signs, but it is so gradule you don't notice it till it is too late.

2B1ASK1

13. 73/75 k5

73/75 k5 Registered Member

Samething happened to my edelbrock carb when I went mud boggin. You know go through a small puddle but it ends up being deeper than you thought and then the next thing you know your k&n is soaked with mud and water and your truck runs like crap and you limp it home. Just wondering if you shot compressed air through all your fuel passages when you rebuilt it. I had to rebuild my carb after my incident and when I ran compressed air through it, something came shooting out like a bb.
    well good luck hope you figure it out.

if all else fails take it back and say it was defective.