Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine types

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve the grease, May 4, 2000.

1. Steve the grease

Steve the grease Newbie

Hi there. Small blocks are few and far between here in Wales England I am buying a basket case blazer 1978 I think, theres no title. The engines obviously a V8, with a 4 barrel carb, but how do I tell if its a 302, 350, or 400 Cu inch? Where is the engine number situated? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i was in cardiff last summer, its a very nice place. check the glove box in the U.S. all technical data on gm vehicles is in there, if not good luck all those blocks are the same phlsical size.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Look at the 4th digit in your Vin#. 'U'=305; 'L'-350; 'R'=400. Unless someone swapped engines this should do it for you. To check correct year, look at 6th digit in Vin#; '3'=73; '4'=74; etc to 1980 which is 'A'

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Goose, my buddy my pal, my Chiltons and owner's manual shows the breakdown a bit different, I may be wrong but I have attached a copy of it from the manual, let me know if it is wrong...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Well that's correct, but for the 81 and later production with the 17 digit VIN#. The K5 in question is a '78 which uses the older VIN# coding. BTW, it wouldn't have been my first mistake.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You are absolutly ...right.Actually the Chiltons manual says that but because I got a 86 I never read the fine print. Thanks for the info...

7. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

Step aside amature................. i got the OFFICIAL GM 86 TRUCK SHOP MANUAL 'the bible, study it well'
    try looking on the right side valve cover for a diesel orby the oil filter or below the cylinder head for gas

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The word is...amateur
    and I have not been one of those in 47 years.

I see I have to let you folks know something again, when replying to posts, go to the first post in the list and click there, not the last one in the list. By using the last one in the list, that person gets an email "reply to your post" May not be the person you meant to get the answer.....

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

UMMMMMMMMMMM...............UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........Eagle..........It's actually spelled A-M-A-T-E-U-R. Trust me- I know because I am one(at least that's what my wife tells me)!!!!!! LOL

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

deslexic fingers....

11. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that on GM blocks the block size is located behind the distributor. It is punched on the block with the firing order. It will probably be in liters though.
    5.0L=305
    5.3L=327
    5.7L=350
    ?L=400

12. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

You can also look up the block number (6-9 digits). It´s located behind the left head, VERY hard to see when the engine still is mounted in the car and it´s usually covered with oil and dirt. Pop the valvecovers for head numbers if you feel like it, then surf to http://www.mortec.com and look ´em up.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]