Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Upgrade? NEED HELP....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, May 30, 2004.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hey all,

first, thanx for the help about the manual locking hubs, im working on than now.

anyway, here's the deal, my motor is a 350, model year not so sure, i think early 80's, anyway, i just want opinions on upgrading this motor (Currently stock) but i dont need big time upgrades, no need for me for alot of power, it's running 33" tires, im actually happy, but i need more tourqe, whats a good intake manifold, cam shaft......thanx

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Camshaft wise you might want to stick with a fairly short durration ( somewhere around 200 to 220 at .050 ) and as much lift as offered by your cam manufacture . Try to keep your Lobe Seperation Angle somewhere near 110 to 112 for lots of vacum .
    As far as a manifold go with a dual plane design ( there are plenty to choose from - let price be your guide ) .
    From what you have described this should put you in the neighborhood that you want to be in .
    Good luck , Tom

3. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

hmmmm. the prob. is that im lacking information and understanding of what u say (im not an experianced mechanic, i can't understand these no. u say) but thatnx for caring, if u can pin point a bit more, tell me brands, i like edelbrock....thanx

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

No problem ... Look at the specifications that are listed by various cam manufactures like : Crane / CompCams / Lunatti / Isky or any other cam company - things to look for are the durration at .050 and the lobe seperation angle along with the valve lift . I understand that you do not know what all they mean and it would take a long time to get into great detail but go by the numbers that I mentioned earlier and you will be on the right track .
    The spec's that I listed for you are good for torque in the RPM range that you are looking at .
    As far as intake manifolds go you might want to look at Edlebrock / Holley / Weiand and many others and you want to look for the ones that offer an opperating RPM range of off-idle to 5500 RPM or so .
    I do not have any direct part numbers at the moment but I can post some later on tonight if no one else post's up before than .
    I tried to leave what you picked up to you and gave you some guide lines to go by but I know that it gets confusing - it took me years of rreading before I learned what I dealing with and what it all meant .....

I'll post up some cam shaft part numbers this evening for you that should help you out and give you some options .
    Tom

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I can only find my Crane Cams catalog at this time so I will give you a few suggestions from it .
    part # 100032
    part # 100042
    part # 100052
    All these grinds are a step above a stock cam but not too big to cause any driveability problems with stock issue running gear .
    I would suggest going with the 100052 part number because it is the strongest of the three and I am sure you will want the most bang for your effort and work to your motor . This cam is meant for towing/off-road useage/ and still idles very well and offers good economy while providing a fair amount of torque.

There are MANY other cam shafts to choose from but I suggest this one ( or one like it ) because of what you said about keeping your engine stock and just wanting to change the cam & intake while keeping the running gear and 33" tires the same .
    I do not have an Edlebrock catalog so I can not give you an exact part # for the intake you need . Just get a "Dual plane" intake with a carb mounting pattern that will accept you Q-jet and an E.G.R. valve if you are running one .
    Good luck and I hope this helps you decide on what you want to put in your motor . Hollar if you need clarification on anything .
    Tom

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd call Comp Cams CAM HELP: 1-800-999-0853 and see what they recomend. A set of headers maybe.