Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine/Vehicle specs on 70's and 80's American full size trucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BayouBlazer88, Apr 25, 2005.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm currently working on a report in one of my mechanical engineering classes which is on how gasoline engines have advanced in the past 20-30 years. I'm trying to make a table comparing vehicle weights, engine horsepower and torque, and gas mileage of the earlier engines to those of today. Naturally I have no problems finding these specs for late model vehicles but I'm having a hard time finding info on older trucks. So basically I need a place where I can find this information on GM, Ford, and Dodge full size trucks, and mainly just the small block V8 motors (305, 302, 306, 350, 351, 360). Thanks in advance.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Remember that when you find the specs, in the 70's and 80's hp and torque numbers were taken at the rear wheels (or all 4 if it could come with full time four wheel drive like an auto Chevy during the 70's) just like if you drove it on a dyno. The numbers now are at the flywheel with exhaust and accessories attatched. For instance, my truck was rated for 165 hp from the factory (when it still had the 350 :D ). We have a '99 Suburban with a Vortec 350 that is rated at 255 hp. It seems the Suburban would be way more powerful, but that is not the case. The 165 is rated with an auto (takes another 5% power off the top) with the full time 203 t-case (takes another 10% or so), and all of a sudden the numbers are quite a bit closer. Of course the suburban has L31 vortec heads and better injection, but it has emmissions equipment, etc. Put it this way, a '69 Blazer made 250 gross horsepower (rated at the flywheel with no accessories on it). So, after the novel I just wrote, hp numbers are really deceiving and don't really mean all that much. They are almost impossible to compare between now and the 70's and 80's. BTW, don't trust the specifications thing on this website, it is way off on a lot of things.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status