Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine was about to explode!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Aug 14, 2006.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

hello all,

something really strange happened to me a while ago in my 1981 Jimmy with a bb 454 engine and th350...

at first i was playing with my new toy which is an equus timing light 5568, i wasnt able to do much tune ups because i didnt have a connecter to connect it to the Tach... so i just played with the RPM which was set at around 990rpm at idle... so i made it lower at around 600rpm... all was fine.. it sounded much better... then i took my 3 year old daughter with me on a quick spin...

as i was on my way back.. i decided to give it a WOT to by pass some cars which were hogging the road...after passing them... and going back to my normal speed... i decided to give it another big one and thats when the strang thing happened...

i gave the car another throttle then i felt something strang happening within the engine... it was like something falling apart... then i started to slow down as i had to take the next U-turn to go back home.. i felt the breaks were really weak and were hardly holding the car.. and there was pressure from the engine to go faster... after making the u-turn i lifted my foot from the break and it was going crazy!! as if i was still giving it a WOT..i transfered the gear to N and it was like full RPM at that moment... i didnt want to stop at that moment as i was a couple blocks away from home..so i decided to continue on back home... and as i made it back home... i was worried on how i would park the car.. but as i was almost behind my sedan the engine was loosing power and black smock was comming out and forming big black clouds...then it went off... then i turned the engine back on.. and it was really Rich at that moment and i gave a few throttles.. got it cleared.. and it was back to normal...

can anyone explain what happened and if it ever happened to you???

what i think happened was that the peddle might have got stock or the throttle vlave which is on the carb...i hope that is the problem and not anything else..

please give me your openions..thanks

it was really scary to have a K5 loose on the street!!

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ive heard one cause of such a thing can be a gunked up carb causing the throttle to stick. other than that i dunno what else it coulda been.

hope you didn't do any serious damage though.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Best thing to do in a stuck throttle situation is to turn off the ignition and coast to the side of the road . Then pop the hood , check the linkage . That close to home you could of idled home if you got it unstuck .

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Strange...

I'd say lube up the linkage and throttle cable real good. Also a carb rebuild could never hurt.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had the throttle return spring break on my 440 Dodge once. I had just nailed the pedal to the floor to pass. When I let off the gas, it just kept on winding up. Shut er down and coasted to the side of the road. Opened the hood and saw that the hook had broken off the end of the spring. Got out the needlenose pliers and bent a new hook.:D