Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine wont crank over!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 7, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok well..it was not the battery!..we just finished putting a 305, 700 r4 tranny, and a 208 t-case from the 85 parts blazer into my 84..and it wont crank, it makes a click sound, but nothing goes...what could be the problem? i need some ideas.. thanx!

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Are you getting enough juice to the starter? In my 71 sometimes I have to manually jump the switch with a screw driver and get it to bump. Then crank it and it starts. I know the wirirng is bad but its not my problem anymore /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif . Hope this helps you some.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Starter!!!! If it clicks, that means that the solinoid is getting power, but the starter motor isn't turning over!!! either the starter is locked(froze) or the starter is wired wrong! Somehow the starter isn't getting enough juice or the starter is bad!!! Computer diagnosis is a pain! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

maybe your alt is not charging ur battery

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok well guys my dad fixed that..he had to re-wire something..but he got it and it cranks over now! but now, something sounds like its clunking or loose when we turn it over..and when we crank it for a few seconds smoke starts to come out from the bottom of the pass side somewere..not sure what that is? but we couldnt get it to start, but it is at least cranking over! my dads going to get a connection tester or something tomorrow and fool with it some more(hes the brain in this operation) and ill let you guys no more..thanx!

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if its a new rebuild make sure when you put the distributor in the engine is at top dead center on # 1 cylander with both valves closed.it sounds like you got the timing off to start it.i had that problem when i replaced my heads and the top end.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nothings been replaced on this..it ran good when i got it in the 85 blazer i bought. we simply took everything from that one and put it in this one. no changes have been made to the engine or anything..

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

so you didnt take the carb and distributor out to get the engine hoist hooked up?i know i had to to take my engine out.if you didnt take anything apart or off the engine it should still start and run.maybe you have more wires mixed up.did you check and see if it was getting spark yet?

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i think my dad said it wasnt getting spark or something about the starter...(it is good though)..cuase it cranks over..but its not getting spark or something he said i cant rememebr..but something along the lines of it not getting spark right..he has to get a spark tester or something..

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

he said the spark plugs were not sparking or making spark, hooked a wire up wrong somewere. any one know what one?

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

OK I think I gots it!!! When I replaced my first motor the pink wire for the HEI got pinched between the motor block and the tranny. It was shorting out. Simply cut it, and splice it back together! (easier said than done) But check the wire that goes into the "battery" connection on the distibutor. Follow it and see if its pinched. Good Luck I hope its as simple as this /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok ill try it thanx!

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok its not that that is fine actually. so on to another solution..? it gets real hot and smoke comes up from on of the grounds or something we dont think that its grounded right..but we dont really know wear it could be..anyone?

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

o comon almost 5000 wrench heads on this sight and not ONE person can help me out here!!??

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your cranking it so much that the starter is smoking. You checked for 12v at the HEI when the key is on, right? You might have bumped the timing off when you swapped so check that too.

I assume it doesn't even try to start, just turns over?

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

right..doesnt even try....my dad think the flex plate bolts are to loose cuase you can hear the rattling when you crank it..and its really sluggish when it cranks to...but yea it will smoke after cranking for like 10 seconds..ill ceck the timing to..