Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine won't run on all cylinders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ironnut, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

I replaced plugs, wires, rotor 3 years ago. For a few while now engine will never run on all cylinders when it starts then eventually they all kick in. Now it won't start, just barely fires on what sounds like 1 cylinder. I'm about to pull the plugs and clean them. Anyone got suggestions about what else it could be besides plugs. Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

as wacky as we have had wether hear. pull the cap and theck for corosion on the terminals and carbon tracking in the cap. the exrta moister from day to day changes has done a lot of tune up stuff problems in are area.

3. ironnut

I pulled the plugs, cleaned them, they were a little oily. CHecked the wires and they looked alright, and I cleaned off the terminals in the distributer, they also were a little coroded but no carbon tracks. After checking all that I got the truck to start but not on all 8 cylinders, but after letting it run for a while I could hear the other cylinders kicking on one at a time.

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

How long did it sit between running and how often is it ran? A dd could easily go for another tune up after 3 years.
    -Kell-

5. ironnut

It sits 9 months out of the year, and gets started every now and then to be moved. I put some electric grease on all the connections but that didn't do nothin. Drove it to town this mornin and it only ran on 7cylinders 6miles there and back. I bought new plugs today will put them in tommorrow.

6. ironnut

Well I replaced the plugs now it runs fine! Like a new truck!! So now Im gonna replace the rotor and distributer because there are due as well.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

its not good for any ride to sit that long and then be run. run it for a day or two every month if possible. all sorts of stuff will go bad like seals brake parts and stuff. need to keep it all moving .

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree. Sitting is the worst thing for a vehicle. Start it every other week if possible, and move it around. Let it warm upo completely and shift through all the gears if you can. Also change the oil every few months. This goes a long way to keeping a stored vehicle in top shape.

9. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Just out of curiosity, what would changing the oil do?

10. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Condensation...

11. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Thanks.
    -Kell-

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

ALso oil that has been ran once will start turning acid, and after 3 months could be so acid that it could eat you engine inside out.
    That is why they say change oil every X miles or 3 months which ever comes first.
    Synthetic oil doesn't have that problem so I use it and only worry about the miles.
    :D