Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine won't stop turning over.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stomper, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Engine won\'t stop turning over.....

Or shut off with the key...

Yesterday I was going to use my dads 74'K20 for moving grain. It hadn't been run for a few months but was stored inside. Tryed to start it and when I turned the key off it kept on turning over. Luckly at that time it didn't start and I got a battery cable unhooked.

So I hooked the cable back up, no problem. Got it started and moved to where I was going to use it. Shut it down. Went to start it again and it started but the starter kept on going /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And it wouldn't shut off with the key. Not to good for the starter /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Pulled the cable once more and pulled the truck out of the way. Pulled the starter today and the bushings are shot and the drive is kind of wore /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. But the fly wheel looks good. My question is is the problem in the steering column or what is it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks,

Brett

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Engine won\'t stop turning over.....

probably the solenoid,...same thing happened to my buddies ferd when it got wet..old solenoid, swapped his spare in and worked great

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

What a coincidence...that happened to me with the lawn mower the other day. Scared/confused the piss outta me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Check the starter and see if the wires down there are crossed to the point of the battery cable is laying across the other post.

5. Stomper

It has a new power cable from the battery and the other wires are in good condition also. So I think I can cross that off the list. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Stomper

Well it needs a new starter now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so it will get a new solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Any one else have other ideas, don't want to put on the new starter and have it happen again /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What a coincidence...that happened to me with the lawn mower the other day. Scared/confused the piss outta me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    even more funny on this one, a buddy of mine, his dodge cummings (think its a 98) did it to him while i was at the house. ended up being the selonoid, and battery cables. corrosion crawled doen the cable to the selonoid. 210.00 dollars later... all worked fine.
    Grant

8. Stomper

It was a little nerve racking to say the least /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I had to run to my shop to get a wrench for the battery cable and I Don't like to run /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The buildings are about 50 yards apart, up hill both ways /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif And don't be fooled the snow is still very deep /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This happened to me once, too. Fortunately, the starter gear had retracted far enough not be in contact with the flexplate once the engine started. I too had to do some running to find a wrench, after the 5 or 10 seconds it took me to figure out what in the heck was going on.

The problem of course is the solenoid sticking. Since I added a Ford solenoid, I haven't had this repeat or had a single hot start problem, even since I added the headers. I don't think I even replaced that starter.

10. Stomper

Well I got the new starter today. Put it in tonight and it works great....Thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

^5