Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine year differences quick!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Feb 18, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey all.

I just picked up a '91 350 from an ex-police caprice, and I'm supposed to be swapping it in place of my '88 350 today. The trouble is, I'm starting to think the '91 heads are much different than the '88's, which is going to make it a mess doing a direct swap (I'm driving the truck into the shop and need to drive it out at 5pm when they lock up!). Everything in theory was supposed to be a direct swap, with the possibility of moving the '88 intake onto the '91, but that will get really complicated if the heads aren't identical!!

Does anybody know the exact interchangability of the stock TBI intake's between an '88 350 and a '91 350?? What will I need to modify to make them gel??

Time and money are objects here!! I have access to a parts delivery place, but 1-2 day wait on any special order parts (I.E. not-stock), so "get a new computer or harness" is not a possibility!! What are my real-time options here?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Vortec heads didn't show up until 95 or 96, so you should be OK. Should be a plug-n-play operation. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    True, the vortechs didnt start until 96, however there is a change in the heads between 86 &amp; 87. So as long as your 88 has an original 88 block it should be all good.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks Harry.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, with the minor differences being in intake, going from a police car to truck. But when I was bsing with a parts guy while buying stuff for it, he told me the '91 runs cooler and has a different head design than the '88, even though they're both TBI and look identical.

I don't want to have both engines next to each other and realize I have to go get head gaksets and move my old (and possibly damaged) heads onto the new block. The cost ends up being too much in time (and yeah, money too).

So you think the parts guy has rocks in his head? I'm trying to squeeze this into a minimal-unpredictable-error schedule...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yes, the '88 is all '88. That's half the reason it so darn long to find a motor, all I could find (in my price range) were pre-88's. I've thought and had been reasured that '88 to '92 were no differences in heads for tbi. Then this parts guy went and threw doubt into the mix!!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.