Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine year

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by showmeburb86, Nov 7, 2006.

1. showmeburb86

showmeburb86 Registered Member

Is there a way to tell what year a 350 is? I found out that my 86 sub has had the original engine replaced. It is carberated. Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

casting dates in the block. might need to degreese the block and scrape paint off. but it can be done.

3. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

you can get a good idea of year with the casting #'s from the rear of the block on the drivers side right in frnt of the tranny then look for that # at www.mortec.com
    you can also get the numbers off of the block on the ledge just in front of the passenger side head if it hasn,t been decked, there will be #'s and letters stamped into the block its the vin from the vehicle it came out of, (sometimes there are 2 #'s there 1 is the vin from original vehicle it came in and they can tell by it...the other # is a # stamped into the block meaning it was assembled in one of their engine shops instead of the assembly line). then call the local chevy dealer and they can tell you the year and what it came out of.

4. showmeburb86

showmeburb86 Registered Member

Thanks, any hints as to where on the block to look?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

look here...

On the front of the block,just under the altenator,on the passenger side,there is an engine code..usually consists of several letters that were part if the VIN # off the vehicle its installed in originally,followed by a three letter code ,like "TDR" for an example..codes beginning with a "T" indicate a truck code,passenger cars use other letters..look on the website previously listed for the code to identify year and cubic inch displacement..

On the rear of the block above where the bellhousing bolts on,there are casting numbers that will tell engine size,on the drivers side--very hard to read while motor is installed--on the other side there is a casting that is actually in the shape of a clock--using it you can determine the day and date it was cast,and even which shift of production it was made in!..(beware of those dreaded "Friday afternoon" and "Monday mornin hangover" motors!)..:p:

6. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i've heard of those late friday shift motors