Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Jan 23, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

okay i have three small blocks readily avalible to me the first is a 400 that needs to be rebuilt that is in my truck now the second is a a 350 that also needs to be rebuilt and the third is a 327 form a 66 vette that is completly rebuilt wiht about 330hp and 350 ft/lb wich is best? is i rebuld the 400 and 350 or wich ever one i would like to.

2. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i would go with the 327 but that is just because i love those engines.

just my 2 cents

3. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

what do you love about the 327?

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i would go with the 327 already rebuilt,for 2 reasons#1 being cost and#2being it has plenty of tourche, save with the 327,then spend on other things for the truck!!YOURS TRULY HP /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Id definatley go for the 400 in a truck. Lots more torque. Those 327s are great in a car, but they dont have the torque to haul a truck around.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Go with the 400.....they are a much better choice for a heavy truck. Besides, building a motor to suit your needs is half the fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can get a "415 Stroker" kit for that 400 small block.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Build the 400! You will love the torque that a 400 makes... ANd I agree, building the motor is the best part. I built my 406 in my girlfriends garage in the spring with the door open and the sun shining, it was my favorite part of my buildup and building a motor is relativly easy but you just need a lot of patience and make sure you triple check EVERYTHING. Also if you have never done it before it is a good idea to have someone watching you that knows what they are doing. My girlfriends dad watched over my shoulder to make sure I did everything correct and a little help is important when your not sure about something.

I agree with hipinion that that 327 is cool and pretty hot too but if you plan on running some big tires,other than 1/2ton gear,yada yada...I would put it in a muscle car. If you stay close to stock and light as possible it would be a nice motor to have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

were do youy get the 400 strocker kits and could i get rebuild and gets some good hp and tq. with the 400 for around $1500?

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    were do youy get the 400 strocker kits and could i get rebuild and gets some good hp and tq. with the 400 for around $1500?

[/ QUOTE ] You can get stroker 415 and 434ci stroker kits from Jegs and summit. 1,500 bucks would barelly cover the cost of the forged crank and rods. I spent about $2,700 on my 406 and cut as many costs as I could for the most part but when you build a motor you wan't to be carefull what you "cut" to make things cheaper.
    I have stock rods and crank and I have a hard time seeing a 434ci with a forged bottom end costing less than 3,500 bucks(IMHO).

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    third is a 327 form a 66 vette that is completly rebuilt wiht about 330hp and 350 ft/lb

[/ QUOTE ]

If its a Gennie vette 327 and the date codes line up on the block and heads, you could make enough off of 327 and build the 400 stroker. Vette owners can be pretty picky over crap like that, but if its the real deal the value is there and they pay top dollar for it. (no offense to any vette owners here! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

The thing that makes 327's so wicked is the short stroke and the fact that to make power you got to rev the piss out of it. My dad's got one in his '57 Nomad if it wasnt for his gearing it wouldn't be as fun as it is. In a truck the 327 would need lots of gear to go along with larger tires. Still would have to rev it to move too. 400's are the opposite with a long stroke, you don't have to rev so fast to make the power needed in a heavy truck. Go with the 400!

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is no subsitute for cubic inches.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you just love flaring that 540. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i had a 400 in a monte and should of kept it.lot's o'nut.s. idiot /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    you just love flaring that 540. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    540's are wicked badass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mudjunkie 82

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is no subsitute for cubic inches.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Correction: There is no replacement for displacement. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

18. mudjunkie 82

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rjfguitar

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If I were you, I would build the 400. cubic inch!!! BUT, Since I AM NOT YOU,
    I would sell all 3 engines and get a 454 or larger!!
    But thats just me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif