Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engines and Emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Benzoate, Jun 12, 2000.

1. Benzoate

Benzoate Registered Member

Ok, my engine has decided to start bleching forth white smoke from my pipes. Meaning i'm burning oil, and I know that can't be good. So I figure something bad is wrong and the engine is dying. For those who don't know, i'm also trying to sell it. And it's damn hard to sell a vehicle with a dying plant.

I've already had the tranny and t-case rebuilt and this is the big one. The decision time: do i want to keep it or sell it. And that's my question.

I want a new plant but also to pass emissions. Currently the vacume hoses have been gutted (part of prob?), so I'd like to buy a crate plant and just drop it in. However, if it's fuel injected it won't be close to "origional equipment" and therefor won't pass inspection in VA.

So what are my options? Carb or Fuel injection, what will help me pass inspection? And what's the defintion of 'crate' does it come with all the pumps and emssions equipment other than the cat or what?

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Depends on the year of your truck. A chevrolet dealer can get you everything you need. Not all trucks have A.I.R. pumps. The dealer can tell with info from your glove box label. Also the sticker in the engine compartment will tell hose routing and will show air pump if equipped. Crate motors are only the long block no accesseries. The performance crate motors though can be had complete, but these are not for emission control veichles.

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

All the info you need is at <font color=blue>http://www.paceparts.com<font color=black>
    They cover the goodwrench crate motors and plain ole stock ones...generic 350 costs 1295.00. long block, heads valve covers, timing cover, oil pan....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I always thought and was told that:
    White Smoke = water
    Blue smoke = oil
    black smoke = fuel

Am I wrong?

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Water in the exhaust will make steam, not smoke. [​IMG] It also smells like anti-freeze. Oil smoke smells like, well, oil smoke! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. Benzoate

Ok, that makes sense, in talking with people around here, i probably cracked the block and now my coolant is combusting or something. Either way i'm toast.

Someone passed on the GM Engine block page. What kind of power does the "Generic 350" have that's specified for my truck? Prob not much if it's bone stock. And my other question is, if i put a new block in it, how do i get it to pass inspection?????

What EXACTLY are the rules for VA if anyone knows?

My mechanic is kind of an ass, he thinks i'm an idiot, i'm just not well informed and I'd like to show him up.

Anybody got any suggestions of where i can look etc????

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you think it might be a cracked block, first do a compression test on all cylinders. It's much more likely that you have a blown head gasket. Fixing that is way cheaper than installing a new engine. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would bail on that guy!! If you need help get it from someone willing to HELP!!! There are a ton of 'cool' guys out there and you shouldn't have to showup anyone! Drop him like a bad habbit and get someone who can offer the type of customer service you desirve!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

11. Benzoate

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to work on this thing, does anyone know of a good honest mechanic in the Alexandria VA area? Someone emailed me about a good guy in southern Maryland, but that's too far at this point.

Also, since I'll have to go to a shop, does anyone have a clue as to what I should expect to pay for a compression test, and to replace the head gasket? Or how hard is that to do anyway?

And this is really pushing, but any 4x4ers in the alexandria area?

If it's just a head gasket, I sure as hell don't want to 'give' my truck away for a stupid rubber seal. And yeah I know they're not rubber.

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The generic 1300.00 350 has 185 horsepower....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1