Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engines/ Corvette in a K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Oct 22, 2003.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

To all the engine guys: a buddy of mine has an aluminum 350 out of a 2001 Vette (LS1?). He's been holding it for a street rod, but said he'd sell it to me if I wanted it. 22,000 miles w/harness, $2,000. I think the price is good (do you?) but dont know if its good for our applications. Not enough low end torque, etc. I dont want to tear it down and rebuild, too expensive. Do you think it would work? 700R tranny, 4.88 gears, 38 tires. Just curious, thanks.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Were the 2001's the new body style and LS1? If so and if they are simialr in HP to the 2003, then I would say go for it! Those engines 350hp.... My father has an '03 50th aniv. model and it runs great. Plus $2K is cheap for those engines!

Not sure on the cam power range and such but I think it would work out well.

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Its out of the new body style, and Im pretty sure its designated an LS1. Horsepower is great, but torque doesnt kick in till like 4,000. Just dont know how good it will be at pulling around my meats, and towing stuff. Like the price, but to really enjoy it I'd really have to hammer the throttle. Thanks for the reply!

4. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

From what I know of is second gen camaro owners theres a few who have put this in there camaros, what i remember is the tranny will bolt up but your gonna have to make new motor mounts as they are different. I forget the specifics but you could go to www.nastyz28.com and do a search.

5. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

do it! 2 grand is CHEAP for that motor.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The price is great but it's not going to be a bolt-in. The mounts are going to be different, and the computer side of things may be a PITA, and expensive. The motor should have more than enough power though, and get pretty good mileage.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not positive on this, but i've heard that an LT1 will bolt up just like an older smallblock... But LS1's are a different breed... You need the 6speed or 4l60 that goes behind that LS1...
    For some reason i seem to remember that LS1's won't bolt up to earlier transmissions like th350s, 400s, or 700r4's?

8. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status