Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zooexhibit, Jul 28, 2003.

1. zooexhibit

zooexhibit Registered Member

Howdy
    I have a stock 350 motor with a 4 bbl carb. I am wondering what the best most econimical thing I can do for high altitude off roading would be. I have been told that fuel injection is the answer but it seems a little bit excesive for my budget. A new Ramjet 350 for instance would be around 5000 dollars and edlebrocks conversion kit is like 2400 dollars. Is there a way to add fuel injection to my engine for less? If I go to a junkyard and get a fuel injected motor out of a wrecked vehicle what parts would I need to adapt it to my 72 k5 blazer. What is the best solution?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

do a little searching and you will find all the answers you need, it has been brought up a lot. you dont have to buy a whole engine to get the TBI stuff you need. you can just buy the parts. Intake, Computer, Wiring harness, i think your gonna need a Fuel tank as well.

3. zooexhibit

zooexhibit Registered Member

why would I need a new fuel tank?

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

fuel injection uses a high pressure electric fuel pump mounted in the tank. Also fuel injected vehicled have tanks with baffles to keep the gas from sloshing away from the pickup tube. Unlike a carb which has a fuel bowl and can run for a bit without fuel supply fuel injection needs constant pressure or it will choke.

I know holley makes a CFI fuel injection kit that bolts onto your existing intake and can be programmed with a laptop for around $1300 you may wanna look into.

The next best bang for the buck upgrade you could do would be a cam swap if you are running a stock cam.

5. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status