Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engle Racing cam Specs, and a TBI to 4bb carb swap anyone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Feb 9, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

i have gotten one for free from my uncle who was throwing out a bunch of cool auto stuff and he gave me a Engle racing cam http://bigboytoys.8k.com/cgi-bin/i/Picture%20025.jpg . Anyone know of these are they good I was told they are very good cams by a friend with a 69 RS/SS camaro with a ZZ4 350 with lots of goodies . My truck has the 350 TBI crate motor, Has anyone done a TBI to 4 barrel carb swap? I can get a zz4 intake from the camaro(he put a high rise edlebrock intake on the car) and a carb from him too... i know ill have to put a regulator on the fuel line or just unhook the intank fuel pump and put one for a carb on inline somewhere...anyone think of any probs doing this id like to know... Thanks for any info /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net and so big we need another site http://bigboytoys.8k.com also see the BEAST impala!! an a pic of the Cam

2. 89K1500Chevy

Re: Engle Racing cams, and a TBI to 4bb carb swap anyone?

I also got another ele.fan and shroud i guess ill keep it but i already have 2 ele fans on... I need one of those nifty auto turn on ele. fans at 180temp to cool to 160 does anyone have a switch like that and where did you get it as mine are on a toggle switch....thanks /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif http://bigboytoys.8k.com and www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">WHY would you want to go backwards (EFI to carb)? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My fans are controlled seperately by the ecm (changing on/off temps is as easy as burning a new chip on my PC), but Painless makes calibrated temp sensors. Dont get those ones that go in the radiator fins, they arent very accurate

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

me and a friend just took out a 350 and put in a 454 drag moter in a 87 truck with tbi , all we done was disconnect all the tbi stuff and left it unhooked and put in a set of manual guages , we disconnected the electric fual pump and cut the line and wired in another electric pump for a carb and so far everything is working great , it would be better to remove the tbi electic fuel pump but we are just pumping through it , we thought it might not pull gas through it but it is working fine and will leave it in unless it couses a problme later down the road

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You really need to find out what kind of cam that is before you just go putting it into a stock TBI engine.
    If it is a high performance "racing" cam. it will be about useless in a stock TBI block. They are a low compression engine Designed to build torque not high RPM power. The heads, without major work will never flow the kind of numbers to allow a radical cam to work.
    Also with any performance racing cam. You must have at least good flowing heads, headers, and a good intake manifold. Otherwise it just wont work if you cant get good flow.
    In my oppinion if you slap that "racing" cam in and a 4 barrel on top of that TBI block you will be very dissapointed in the results.
    As said before "Why Go Backwards" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 89K1500Chevy

i got the specs on the cam its a Hydro Lifter for Heavy street performance cars &amp; vehicles. 9.0:1 compression. Powerband 1500-5500 RPM.
    1022-H EP-22HYD
    lift dur camlift dur@50 lobelift
    .480" 274° .320" 230° 110°
    .480" 274° .320" 230°
    and i can get a zz4 intake and 600cfm carb and im already getting headers and high flow cat i got the cam for free from my unlce and the cam still in the box idk if i could mabey trade it out for different one or just sell it if i cant use it I want something more lopy in then what is in their now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif http://bigboytoys.8k.com and www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Having swapped in carb'd engines in to formerly TBI'd powered trucks, I can say that it's really easy to do. Your stock intank electric fuel pump will work fine. Without all the TBI inputs from various points, your distributor will not work correctly. I swapped to standard HEI ignition, used a 3 port Mallory fuel pressure regulator, 1 port to carb, 1 to fuel tank return line, and 1 to fuel pump. Set pressure for about 5-6 psi and the fuel pump will work fine.
    You'll need to tap into a 12v+ ignition switch on source for the HEI. I used the 85K5 wiring schematic for the needed info. Not sure it's such a good idea swapping in a cam that has 230 degrees duration at .050 lift though. A stock ported, stock valved TBI engine will never utilize that cam to the extent possible. Trcks generally need low end torque not high RPM horsepower.

biggray71:
    Why would you swap to a carb? Well, for the ease of repairs in the back country if the CPU goes south. Try finding someone with the parts or knowledge in northern BC or Alaska. With an extra carb that I carry, I'm well covered. Try getting a chip for a 513 Caddy built for towing. Try the same for a 427BBC built for towing. Find me the needed parts to use TBI on either of these engines and without spending a fortune. Without a doubt, EFI will produce more power, torque and fuel economy then a carb'd engine. But at what cost? Especially for the "Saturday mechanic".

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am not familiar with Engle cam grinds so I am not going to aregue with that 1500-5500 rpm range.
    But to me those numbers say that is a strong midrange to high RPM cam. it should build torque real good at mid RPM I would expect more like 2500 to 5500 RPM range out of those numbers on a small block.
    If you are dead set on using it you might consider a set of World S/R Torquers for heads. They are pretty cheap and flow good.
    If you are running an auto trans you will probabally need a higher stall torque convertor. 2000 rpm +
    But i think it will definatly give you the lopey idle. If thats all you want.

In my opinion if you want a performance cam to work with what you have I would look for something with 224 or less degrees of duration and . no more than .480" lift.

9. 89K1500Chevy

i was at chevy dealership today and talkin to David ables and he said that the cam would work just fine in the engine. the only thing i should change would be the valve springs but that cam is close to specs he said on what should be in the engine. It would give it a more lopy idle and more power. thanks for info keep me updated if you think of anything else. Could i just have those heads on there ported and polished along with intake or would it be best to get new heads? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif http://bigboytoys.8k.com and www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

10. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">ECM's for TBI are not hard to find or expensive. I carry an extra ECM I got for $60 brand new at some red neck parts store in BFE pennsylvania one day. I use a stock 90-92 Camaro/Firebird ECM on my 350 (mild cam and headwork), and a new chip is as far as my PC (My spare ECM has a spare chip too). What kind of work is done to these towing big blocks? Making them work with a stock TBI computer may be easier and cheaper than you would think.....

11. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Chalk up another vote for sticking with your TBI. It's about the most basic and easiest to work with fuel injection system you will find. They usually work much better in an off-road vehicle because most carbs start to bog down when working at angles. Also that cam sounds like a bit much to me too. Keep in mind you are moving a vehicle that weighs almost twice what your friends camaro does. Lots of guys build high RPM, high horsepower engines for their trucks and then are disappionted when they are total dogs because they gave up too much low end torque for such a big vehicle. I'd say stick with something in the 260 range and if you want more flow, you can have your TBI reworked or get a holley replacement that still works with the factory electronics. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, and if you're just hunting for more power there are better ways to get it out of your existing setup.

If you are totally sold on your buddies hotrod parts, then keep in mind you can probably sell your complete TBI system to someone here and maybe even come out ahead. The setup you have in your 89 is what "most" of the guys with older trucks wish they had or want to upgrade to.

12. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Also, just looked at the pic. That cam looks very used. I don't think I'd want to go through all the labor to put a used cam in an engine I cared about or planned on keeping for any amount of time. If he was throwing it out, there was probably a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sell it on eBay and get one that better matches your application.

13. 89K1500Chevy

My uncle had it for his 1986 GMC longbed with a ZZ4 350 in it and he had it stored at his place quite awhile and hes moving now so he just gave a lot of extra parts to me so i got a hole bunch of stuff from him. The Camaro has been upgrading his ZZ4 350 with extra goodies and has his stock ZZ4 intake sitting on a self but Im going to keep the TBI and where is the ECM on a 90-92 camaro located(behind the glove box? under the hood?) will it just plug right into the harness? i have a hypertech stage 2 chip in my ECM. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">The camaro ECM is behind the glove box. It will not work on your TBI if thats what you want to do

15. 89K1500Chevy

Damn yes thats what i wanted to do lol you must have a camaro engine in yours then i guess But i need a new EGR valve as my gas mileage has gotten lower and it idles kinda like i got a lopy cam but i dont have that in yet and i put new TPS,O2sensor,PCV on and the timing is good so that leaves donw to EGR i hope anyone think of anything that it might be? could the 14 year old Cat. conv. be backin up and causing this to happen? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">How old are the plugs and wires? How does the contacts inside the disributor look? Do you have a check engine light on? I would also throw on a new cat, you can get a universal 3" one for about $40 from Jeg's or Summit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif