Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Enough of these gun threads, anyone into mixed martial arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5james, Mar 22, 2005.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I'm tired of all this gun crap. I've been promising myself as soon as I get back down to fighting weight (190-200lbs) I'd start taking some Jiu Jitsu again. I've kind of been doing some practicing on my own, just some stuff that I can use in my job. I've become pretty good at applying the Kimura from various positions, I can't really justify using it for my job but it's just such an awesome move I had to learn to use it. Anyone else here into any other MMA styles?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have a couple years of Kenpo under my belt. Have always liked and watched the UFC/Pride fights. One of the guys I work with, him and his wife are hapkido instructors and he said they have been doing some combat hapkido. Sounds kinda interesting. I'm just waiting for my hernia to finish healing properly. I get tired of beating up my 14yr old ;)

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm a student fo the "Pure Improvisation With Pitman Stick" school

In all seriousness, I'd like to learn all I can about the martial arts, purely for writing reference

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Most of the guys my dad trained were Kenpo blackbelts. I took a little of it when I was like 7 but I've forgotten everything. Right now I'm really into the grappling arts Akido/Judo/Jiu Jitsu/etc... as they are easier to translate to situations I could encounter out in the field. I'm really liking Brazillian Jiu Jitsu right now. My PT instructor back at the academy works at my station now and has been studying Gracie Jiu Jitsu under Fabio Santos here in San Diego for quite a while. He's got some amazing ground fighting skills. I think I'm going to start training there when I get back into good enough shape.

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What I really liked about the kenpo was that it's more like an agressive style of street fighting. We learned a lot of Philippino stick and knife fighting too. Those daamn escrima sticks hurt like hell but you sure can swing them fast. I carry a set with me at all times in the vehicle

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

k5 james is that you in your avitar? i'm taking boxing right now, only been to the class once, but i'm going tonight, i'm thinking of looking into a brazilian ju jutsu class, but dont know if i can afford it (boxing is a freebie) I've always been intrested in knowing different ways to kick someones butt if the need arises (although I've never been in a fight)

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

If you ask my wife she'd say yes it's me. :mad: No, it's Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. BJJ classes are definitely $$$ that's another reason I'm not taking them yet. I've got to get my Blazer done first before I can pick up anymore expenses.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I've practiced the Filipino art of KALI ( aka escrima / Arnis ) for about 6 years. We do stick, blade, empty hand, knees /elbows,stick /dagger, and a lot of boxing.

We don't do any kicking above the waist, and everything is designed for close / medium range. We get alot of guys who train in groundfighting, so we get exposed to things like russian sambo wrestling.

I like the weapons emphasis because dealing with the sticks helps you to learn to fight while under adrenal stress. A lot of styles I think rely too much on fine motor skills, and they're the first ones to evaporate under pressure. IMHO, that's why boxers are so effective. they know what a busted nose is about, and don't give a crap.

For interesting reading, check out anything by Peyton Quinn, or Marc " Animal" Macyoung. they have good insight on making your chosen style more effective under all conditions, and they have many books on improvised weaponry.

Tom