Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Enrolling into universities as a middle aged adult

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How hard is it to enroll into a university as a middle aged adult, compared to a young adult (young being right out of highschool, middle being 23-35)? The schools seem more focused on young people than older.

Just a question...

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Daamn...........you think that's middle aged? I'm an old bastard.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I was that age when I went back to school...not a big problem for anything except the ego...

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

They will accept your money either way.:deal:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

did you suddenly age 20 some years on us?

I'm guessing your mom is thinking about going back to school? It is all up to the person how "difficult" it is. My mom is in "college" right now. Just taking night classes for her curator degree(she works at a historic site). She just says its strange to be one of the older people in the class. Can't expect to go and make friends like you would when you are young, but get an education and get along with people sure.

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I found everyone to be receptive regardless of my age. course I'm taking online classes right now, but my advisor seemed pleased that I made the decision to go back. come to think of it, I did see dollar signs flash in his eyes. :D

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My experience was that the instructors preferred the older students, because they took things more serious.

when I went to community college for a few years, I was in my late 20's.. I had a few older friends there that were attempting a "do - over" on their lives, and they told me the hardest part was getting their families to get with the program.. getting them to understand that mom wasn't available as a 24 / 7 maid service often proved difficult, and generally, the hubby didn't respect / understand the time commitment needed to make going back to school a success..

the same with the guys I knew.. their wives would bitch that there wasn't enough money coming in, but god forbid they spent too much time working on that term paper, instead of " spending time with the family", which consisted of watching TV , or some other low value activity..

not to go too far off the subject, but watching all of these people go through this taught me that some people's idea of a marriage is to take turns controlling each other.. yuck..

Tom

8. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went back when I was 30. Instructors were more helpful it seemed because you had the life experience and they wanted to help get you back out there. I had a great time other than I had to leave my wife at home for a year to finish. Came home every weekend (2 hr drive each way) instead of staying out with the class. Did so much better. Even made dean's list both semesters and graduated near top of my class.:D

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I found college much easier than high school. I went back when I was 23-24. That, btw, is not middle aged.

John

10. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Wow if thats middle aged then I'm headed towards the grave quickly.
    school as an older student has been remarkably simple, I'm able to concentrate more on my studies than all the other crap I remember dealing with when I was younger.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The SAT (if you have to take it...not sure for you northern folks) has a time on it before it expires, for a US university, you may have to re-take it. Other than that, it's easy.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sorry, I didn't know a specific term so I used middle aged...many early middle age?

Thanks for the help, just curious.

13. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

First of all, middle-aged generally falls into the 40-50 range!!

And this applies only to U.S. colleges: if you are 35 and older It's pretty much a walk on, like I did.

I believe if you are younger, it's harder.