Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Entertaining the kids on long trips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Nov 25, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

My wife has decided that we need to get a dvd player setup for long family trips with our 2yr old. Does anyone have any experience in this area? I know nothing about what to look for just that I really don't want to hear 6-7 hours of Dora and Barney when we go see my parents for Christmas. I guess it would be nice to have something that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle but I don't know if that is even an option. Thought someone here might have some knowledge and be able to point me in the right direction.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

We were looking at these too. We have a 13" tv that we hook up to a vcr or dvd player. It works perfect because it pushes the sound to the back and we just move teh radio to the front speakers. You can get small dvd players for like $30 these days. They have fancier systems that range from $100 to $400 out there that have 2 screens with head phone hook ups and dvd player.

Rick

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Do you use headphones for your kids? If so how old are they? I am a little concerned using headphones on a 2 yr old but may just be paranoid. We have a 19" tv/vcr combo that will fit between the seats of our van that we dont use and it has a head phone jack. Guess I could just install a converter and then remove the tv when not in use. :thinking: Any other ideas/experiences.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

We had a tv/vcr combo that we'd plug in and take on trips when I was a kid. The best thing? Videos are cheap, not easy to mess up like a DVD (for kids), and the set up itself would be cheaper....generally. Didn't use headphones, even though it had the option. It definitely works, though.

BTW, the combo actually had an AC/DC power switch so we could use a plug in jack for the cig lighter and run off DC.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I installed a DVD system in our 02 AVY. It has two 7.5" widescreen monitors, one in each headrest. The DVD player was installed in the dash and it also has wireless headphones.
    It was pretty easy and the kids love it

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We got a $150 portible DVD player for our long drives. Self contained, can use headphones or its own speakers. From the back seat it's not that loud. We did also get a FM modulator (popular from all the Ipod sales) so we could pipe the sound of the DVD though the rest of the vehicle too. My boy is 9 though so we don't have to bear Barney or other preschool type stuff.

Sales are crazy today, seen some ads for portible dvd's at or below $100. Made my long drives much less stressfull for sure.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

After thinking about it the tv/vcr combo and a cheap dvd player I have would be fine for now and would allow the use of tapes or dvd and when not using the tv I can use the inverter for other things like my laptop etc. How do I know what size inverter to buy? My tv says it is 120V AC 70W. Don't know what the dvd player or laptop are right now.

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

9. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

What we have now doesn't have headphone jacks. If it did I would use them, but my kids are 6, 8, and 11. And we use a power invertor for the TV and DVD player.

Rick

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I think I will just go with the tv combo and dvd player and get a power inverter. Looks like the tv is 70W, DVD is 15W which would be 85W total and Walmart has 140W dual outlet inverters for about $35 so that will be the easiest thing. $35 and using the tv/DVD I already have is pretty good compromise and can be taken out easy enough. I guess I'll try it with and with out headphones and see how it goes. Thanks all! :bow:

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What happened to the days when kids would just sit and be quiet?

Pacification... :rolleyes:

:(

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The only time my son is still and quiet when watching animated movies like Shrek, Monster Inc., Polar Express, etc things that are the computer animation. Turn one on and he turns into a statue, doesn't move doesn't blink just watches. Perfect for long road trips. I think I may go get an inverter today to get it all set up before we leave tonight. Plus I just realized that once we get there we will be able to let him watch the movies while we are there instead of going nuts for the weekend.

14. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

My kids are well behaved on road trips but I know they get bored so I am looking for something also.I may get one of the dvd/monitor combos that strap inbetween the seats.

15. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hit up the guys on Pimp Ma Ride, Yo!

They are experts in the feild of TVs everywhere on a vehicle, even in the spare tire carrier under the box of the truck so you can watch TV while you lower the spare!

16. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

We used to just talk to them. get them in your conversation and talk to them in their conversations. Ask for their input and ideas. After awhile you will get a pretty good idea whats on their brain and they also get to know your opinions, who you are.. even if they are 6 years old.. Talk trucks to them and see if they can find K5 and K10. A kid can never know every thing about trucks.... and there will be one going past you about one every two or three minutes, endless supply on the road...And part of the way they will sleep also.

stano
    87 K5

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Valium,,,lots Of It,,, :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We used a tv/dvd and inverter a while back. Now we have a dvd player from Walmart tha works great. I didn't want to install one full time because we would have to have it on all of the time.

When we take long trips we use it. I generally wear headphones and listen to what I want while they watch dvd's or sleep. When they are not watching/sleeping, we all talk/play games etc. They like the dvd for a while, but get bored and want to talk (thank God).

19. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I got the dvd from walmart. It has two screens and set me back about 250. Best part is i can move it from car to car

20. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

We picked one up from Best Buy, Samsung 7.5" with all the accessories and 4.5 hour battery pack for $179 (new return :laugh: )