Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EPA and SMOG CONTROL STUFF

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Apr 7, 2004.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

just got pulled into one of those smog inspection check points put up by the EPA. I got busted /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If i want to keep driving my blazer on the road i will need to put my pollution control equipment back on. anyone have parts, pics or a list of a stock equipment for a 72 /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

they got me for no smog pump system and TAC plus who knows what else will come up at the smog shop.

I have 45 days to get it all back in. if i un-register it i am still up for a fine. if i get all the parts in it's still a fine plus parts. I'll see if i can get a payment plan for the fine or i won't be able to get the parts.

thanks,

ARQ.

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

damn...what did a 72 come with? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I have the stock ex-mainfolds and they have no hook ups for a smog pump hose...the headers I put on have the hook ups...I need to know too... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

They didn’t come with any of that junk on ‘em. My 72 was bone stock under the hood all the way down to the metal center section on the top radiator hose and the only thing that resembled emissions junk was the charcoal canister on the core support. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if you live in california, you better be ready. i think the epa needs some dough and they're tring to get it by fines.

if you have aftermarket equipment, be ready to show them the EPA approved sticker for cam, carb, intake, etc...

also, if you are registered out of state/country don't show them your cali driver license. use your out of state/country driver license.

pics any one??

ARQ.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Holy SMOKES /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    That Suxs!!!
    My 72 had..
    Smog pump w/AIR tubes into the exhust..headers or manafolds are accepted as long as the headers have AIR tubes welded to them( I ran a set of Hedmens that had them.)
    Heat riser( I used an aluminum can cut up with wings then clamp to header pipe with hose clamps then buy one of thoes silver acordian type heat hoses, slide it over the beer can(no bottom no top) then attach to air cleaner) to STOCK air cleaner(no exposed or open holes in air cleaner, plug them with RTV).
    Charcol canister for the fuel vapors.
    Hmmmm...I think that is it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

That's BS. There has to be a way to fight it. I thought 74 and older vehicles weren't required to have or pass any smog requirements. Not to mention the fact that as far as I know, which isn't very far, 72's didn't have any smog equipment. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge will chime in.

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Oops. Looks like somebody did.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

On my 1970 they dont even lift the hood for my annual smog inspection here in Phoenix. They only do a dyno, idle and fuel cap test. No visual. I have no factory emission equipment under the hood except a PCV valve. Unless it dramatically changed from 1970 to 1972 I think its BS /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use to have to get mine smoged, every two years I would slide out my "smog box" and put it all on.
    The AIR has three parts to it
    1- Smog pump
    2- air tubes that screw into the manifolds
    3- check valves that screw onto the top of the air tubes main inlet(were you connect the hose to)
    4- I forgot- I don't know what to call it but it is a Y that splits the air from the smogpump to the air tubes.

Dennis I still have my smog stuff...not sure I want to get rid of it but if it will help you I can drag it out snap some pics of what I use to pass smog with?

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's BS. There has to be a way to fight it. I thought 74 and older vehicles weren't required to have or pass any smog requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, but thats how the BAR works. If you get told to go get a smog check, even if its older then 74, then you have to go get a smog check. Sucks, but thats how it works. As for the equiptment, it has to have everyhitng all the smog controls that originally came on the vehicle.

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I just looked up some stuff , looks like my vortec heads and intake manifold were not "approved" for highway use for my year vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I think I'm going to export it into <font color="green">me</font>xi<font color="red">co</font></font> and run it wild down there /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't think i can afford buying a $20K tow truck so i an go offroading a few times a year around here. I love my freedom, but it seems it's being taken away little by little /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ARQ.

12. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use to have to get mine smoged, every two years I would slide out my "smog box" and put it all on.
    The AIR has three parts to it
    1- Smog pump
    2- air tubes that screw into the manifolds
    3- check valves that screw onto the top of the air tubes main inlet(were you connect the hose to)
    4- I forgot- I don't know what to call it but it is a Y that splits the air from the smogpump to the air tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL "your smog box" sounds like a good idea. Emissions equipment must have changed dramatically from 1970-1972, mine literally had nothing from the factory except PCV valve. You dont have to get smogged anymore? Every year I have to pay $18 and it always passes easily, its a rip off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No I don't have to do the tests anymore...ThankGod!!

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Are you moving back home?
    Or just moving the K5 home?
    That sux this happend! I can only hope I never ever have to 'show' my smog....I ummm don't think a FI454 was factory in 72 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

So do tell ARQ? How did this happen...going thru town? Down the Freeway? What it a CHP that pulled you over???
    Spill the beans bro /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So do tell ARQ? How did this happen...going thru town? Down the Freeway? What it a CHP that pulled you over???
    Spill the beans bro

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    I would like to know also...does your truck smoke, were you crossing the border...

16. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'll probably just end up moving the blazer across the border and keep it at my brothers. I've been here over 20yrs why the hell would i want to move back. unless i won the lottery then i'd buy myself a house in cabo or close to it and go fishing, offroading, drink coronas by the beach, go to cabowabo, and watch the baja races /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'd invite you all off roading and we would have no problems with the law cause id buy the local police station too /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I was drivin I8 on to the outskirts of town. there was a check point. kinda like the ones that check for DUI. I said what the hay it's too early to drink so the pulled me in and they IDed themselves as the EPA. busted!!!

they were cool so i was cool with them. i told them it was a 72 and was except. yea right, except from biannual inspections only but it should have all stock emmisson equipment(showed me the LAW book). they guy started writting stuff down, TAC, smog equipment, carbon canister, etc, etc. I began to talk to the other agent and asked him how i could get around it. he said i may be able to do it if i turn in my plates and get an offroad sticker or make it non-operational. i would have to call the epa and plead the case with them.
    they were targeting primarly big work trucks and old cars.

well i fell into both categories. the guys were actually surprised that i still had my original air cleaner /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif so he gave me some tips on what to tell the epa to get the fine waived. it would be tough but worth a shot.
    use the money for parts
    turn in the plates
    throw it away

also, if they catch me again with even one hose disconnected or broken it's $800 fine, third time it's crush time. I don't want to risk it. i can't afford that kinda money at this moment.

most of my offroading has been in baja lately so i'll just have to ride along or buy me a brand new $50k hummer, yea right, if i want to offroad around here.

ARQ.

17. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That right there is #$%^#$^ crap! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I hope this doesn't start happening all over cali. Now i'm afraid for my 2 pre smog vehicles. When i bought them they were already smog exempt and that stuff was long gone. I fear the day when I can no longer drive my '67 and '72 chevys because of these people.
    You're right about them trying to take away our freedom little by little. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Were there police there at the checkpoint enforcing it or just EPA people? I wouldn't have stopped if i din't see any cops. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That blows ASS!

Maybe Burt will rent you all the parts for long enough to get it past. I have seen one of those beside the road things about 6 years ago and haven't seen one sence.

To be truely smog exempt (in any state) your car must be 66 or older (or was it 65?). So this was an EPA thing and not CARB? If so that means that would be the same in any state.

Any way to fight it on illeagel search and seasure?

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Heck ya if you need the parts I can loan them to you...shipping??
    I don't know if I really need them now that I think about it...If I ever get nabbed I would have to trailer it from now on...no way I'm going back to stock at this point....so ya Dennis if you want my stuff you can have it...let me know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

thanks Burt,
    the guy at the check point insisted(hinted) for me to got to a local smog pro. I told him i did most(if not all) of the work on my blazer. I may get away with it since it's over 30yrs old. I'll see what kind stuff the smog pro pulls out his sleeve.

I am not sure if i can just slap on the smog pump equipment. My cylheads and intake are not EPA appoved, i don't want to deal with taking my engine apart for $300. I'll just export it and when i get my "smog legal" 71 i'll tow it back and forth /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

are you willing to part with the smog system that you have, maybe i can use it on my 71. I think I have most of the parts to put into the 71, i do need a smog tubed exhaust manifold.

let me know,

ARQ.