Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Epoxy, JB Weld? What should I use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RaisedK5, Jul 5, 2000.

1. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

This isn't actually a truck question but hey you guys know everything. My other ride is a 69 Buick Riviera, and somewhere along the line some Jacka$$ overtightened the fuel filter holder thingy on the front of the carb and stripped it out, now it leaks. The carb is in great shape otherwise so i figured the easiest way to fix it was to put in an external filter and glue the inlet fitting in , so my question is what should i use that is not affected by gas? And by the way i wish i had that engine in my Blazer, woohoo, 360hp & 475 ft.lb. thing drives like a rocket ship, anyway, any help will be appreciated.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think you can have the thread rethreaded one size larger with a special tool and simply change the fitting.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You might just want to try a bunch of wraps of teflon tape and see if that seals it up. I wouldn't bother trying to use any kind of epoxy or other sealant right there, the consequences are too grave if you have a leak afterwards.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The label on my box of JB Weld says that it can be used to repair gas tanks. I'm thinking this means that gas won't mess with it. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Cua757

Cua757 Registered Member

Have you tried tapping it out using a tap and die kit yet? I'm sure a heavy duty truck shop would have something that would work on a thread fastener that size. (If you Tap it out, clean your carb completely!)

Ever Been Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Stuck?

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

i ended up using the JB weld, no leaks, the threads were really messed up so teflon wasn't an option, and i was trying to fix it cheap, so a huge tap wasn't really in the cards either, but thanks to everyone anyway!

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

7. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

you should try bringing it to a local machine shop to se if they can re thread it or even heli coil it the shop i work in may be able to do it if you live in connecticut

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

if its a holley get another float bowl. JS