Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

epoxy on q-jet fuel plugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boots, Jan 2, 2003.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

OK i know we had a post on this a while ago and I in fact answered it with book words not experince now I'm not sure if the book was right so here we go. THe book said to use jb weld to epoxy the fuel plugs on the dang thing. I did that after cleaning it up with a file and after a dip cleaning the jb had peeled off. Now I admit the file I used is my chainsaw depth guage file (the only one I could readily find) and may have had bar oil on it and it is possible that the bar oil was still on the plugs when I epoxied them, I don't recal trying to clean it after filing it, I don't even recall thinking about cleaning em. SO what's you opinion? JB weld it again, use something different? I'm going to pick up some wire wheels for a dremel tomorrow and wire brush the SOB's before re-epoxiy them, could the file made it to smooth and not given the jb enough of a "bite" any suggestions? While I have ya here I was told not to leave the carb in the dip overnight but only for a few hours as the dip will start eating the Aluminum, what are your thoughts on this? This carb sat on a shelf for God knows how long and had all sorts of varnish, spiders(some dead, some alive) and mud dobbers nest in it so it's beeing a PITA about getting clean.

THanks

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

wells it gotta be clean or jb weld not stick. file it then blast it with carb cleaner and then brake cleaner to be sure.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I ran the body of mine through the dishwasher, then cleaned it more with brake cleaner and carb cleaner. Came out nice and purty! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

when i was going to college, i worked at an auto parts store and we used to carry these little 2 part epoxy cups, they were no bigger round than a coke can and less than an inch thick, you would peel the cover off, use the stick to push in the middle, making a bowl and mix them up, the main reason we stocked them, is the one guy in town that everyone took their carbs to get rebuilt to, swore by them, he would come in and get a carb kit and an epoxy kit and used it to seal the bottom where it leaked, the kits were make by permatex/locktight if i remember correctly, this was back in 84-87 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

6. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Thanks fellas. I'll give the permatex a whirl, if Napa can get it for me, does autozone pep boys or kragen carry it if I can't get it from Napa. Napa is about the only real parts house we have in the one horse town. I can get to the other three but they are 50 miles away. I'll try the dishwasher trick after the wife empties it and goes to bed /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif then run an empty load or two before I leave for work in the morning

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Q-Jets are some sort of Pot Metal, very little aluminum in them. Mostly Zinc. If the carb body sits in old school carb cleaner for very long it actually starts to swell and should be left sitting out for at least as long as it was in the dip b4 putting it back together. Some parts stores carry "A-B Putty", that works well for epoxying the plugs too. Dev-Con Aluminum Putty is another good epoxy for this.