Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Equal, Big O tires, I-70 through mo, and goodyear mt II's (long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Jan 2, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Equal, Big O tires, I-70 through mo, and goodyear mt II\'s (long)

well, we just got back from missouri visiting my dad for the holidays and thought i would share my exp. about the above topics, esp since there has been quite a bit of discussion on a couple of them...here we go-

we decided to drive the K5 back to mo (985 miles 1-way), so i took off the swampers and put some steelies with bald 305/70/16's on for the trip. i bought 4 goodyear mt II's on ebay, and had the dude send them to my dads house from ohio so i get get them mounted (with rims i hoped to buy while i was home) for the return trip to NC. i dont mind milking 1000 miles out of 4 "may-pops" but a second 1000 was too much for even me!! we left and pulled into dads 16 hours later-did i mention that my g'friend is 7 1/2 months preg. and we have an 11 month old son?? well, they were both in the truck. it really wasnt a bad trip, the truck well do 70 mph and rides pretty smooth, so no big deal. the following week, the tires arrived in columbia and i had to go pick them up, but i still had no rims-even after calling EVERY dealer in the area....AR was off for inventory, 4wpw couldnt guarntee delivery by the time i left, geez, all i wanted was 4 16.5 X 9.75 white wagon wheels!! i figured they would be everywhere! i was about to give up, load them on the reciever hitch rack we built just incase i did have to take them back, and bring'em on back here hoping the 4 baldies made it when my girlfriend said she drove by a wheel place and that we should stop by and see what they have... enter "Big O"----i walked in and James, said NO problem, he could have them here in 45 minutes, mount the tires in another 30, and the rims would only cost 59.99 ea. cool, but could he balance them???? no....he said to run next door and buy equal for them, as it would work better than the lead, and stay balanced longer. the dude next door really didnt want to sell it to me because he was afraid that i wouldnt be happy because those bias tires are going to vibrate anyways and it was a waste of money. so, i stroll back over to james, and he said that guy really doesnt deal with 4x4 tires so his exp. is limited to semi's, and that i would be happy with it. well, i had heard pos. and neg things about it, so i bought 6 oz per wheel for 64 bucks and had james and his crew throw it in when the mounted them. the next 2 things that happened blew me away 1st- when i was settling up for the rims, james said that the rims where 54.99 not 59.99 so that was cool... 2nd-when i walked out to get my truck, the dude said hold on because he hadnt "torqued" my lug nuts...friends, this is one of my bit pet peeves when people work on my truck---torque the damn lug nuts.. i dont mind if "I" run them down with an impact, but not someone i dont know...i have had mechanics loosen and torque my rims before i pay, and one time before i would take the truck. when i saw that kid torque them w/o being told by me, i walked over and handed him 10 bucks and said "thanks" in front of all of the dudes working in there!! big O- 2 THUMBS UP

i pull out and the tires vibrate like mad......then s-m-o-o-t-h right out steady as hell right up to 70 mph. i couldnt believe it!!! of course, it helps that the tires ar "ROUND" unlike my swampers!! so equal gets 2 thumbs up!!!
    the goodyears made it all the way here just fine running at 20 psi, didnt track too bad unless the asphalt was dipped from all the 18 wheelers, and i just got back from driving on 4 inches of snow and they were as good as my bfg's! goodyear mt II's--2 thumbs up!

i-70 from columbia to st. louis is the absolute worst stretch of raod i have ever been on, and should be avoided at all cost!! if i lived in mo, i would be busy writing some people about it, and still may even though i dont...it really isnt safe. and with all the river boats, 2 baseball teams, 2 nfl teams, etc, there isnt any excuse for it....end of rant

summary
    big o ---rocks
    equal--rocks
    goodyear mt II's-rock
    I-70-sux

later rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Re: Equal, Big O tires, I-70 through mo, and goodyear mt II\'s (long)

Rob,

I've dealth with Big-O a lot, and they have always torqued my wheel's without any prompting from me. they always give me better deals then I can get anywhere else (as long as the can get the products), and treat me like gold.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Rob, wished I had known you were going to be in Columbia at that time. My wife, kid and her folks went thru Columbia to go up to Moberly where her grandparents live. If I had known you were making the trip, I would have came along, too. [​IMG]

And yes, I-70 ANYWHERE in Missouri SUCKS, big time!!! [​IMG] Once you get out of the Kansas state line on I-70, the interstate roads suck so bad in MO, you seem to go up and down and hit potholes all the time.

We will be making the trek back to Moberly this spring time to see the g-parents again. We will also be making a run to St. Louis to meet up with KRAZIE87K5, hopefully meet at BIGFOOT 4x4, and do some trading.

God, I dread the day we get out of Kansas and hit the Missouri interstate!!! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hey wes, my dad lives in mexico which is just about 40 or so miles from moberly

one thing i did notice (or failed to notice) was that even after driving through 8 states and over 2000 miles, i didnt see any ck5.com stickers [​IMG]...i figured i would see at least one!!

i did see 9 cars with the drive shaft hanging off the bottom [​IMG] and only one was a lifted 4x4....hmmm, i though that was interesting..

centralia auto salvage had at least 2 sets of flat top d44 knuckles...too bad i didnt have time to remove and buy them!!
    later, rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com&gt;www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com&lt;/a&gt;&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by yeild2me on 01/03/02 07:54 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by yeild2me on 01/03/02 07:56 PM.</FONT></P>

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I just got back from OK. Almost 3000 miles round trip and I didn't see one CK5 sticker either. But then again, I shouldn't be griping, I don't have any yet myself.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>