Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

EQUAL in tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jul 19, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

So after work today I will pick up my truck for the first time with "EQUAL" in the tires to balance them. Ive heard about this powdery stuff before but this will be my first set of tires using the stuff. Anyone have any experience with it? The shop guy said it was the best way to go... :confused:

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i have it in my 42" IROK's, it seems to work prett good, but i am taking the truck in this weekend to get it taken out and have them balanced with weights.
    if you plan on airing your tires up and down, the moisture this causes, will cause the equal to clump up and become ineffective

3. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my wheeling truck years ago...it got wet and clumped...on a street truck it shoulden't be a problem.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

From everyone ive talked to they reccomend the equal. It work awsome, better than weights in my opinion until you start airing the tires up and down, if you dont mess with the pressure to much then you should be fine.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

35" and bigger is best use for it. but dont get it wet!!!!!!!

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here's what I use

[​IMG]

7. trailblazr81

Ive heard of golf balls. Tho how do they "work" and how do you know how many to use??

8. fire dawg

fire dawg Registered Member

Why not use the little plastic beebees that are made for that aplication?

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I just put 8 of them in my 38" Ground Hawgs and it helped them alot. They are somewhat out-of-round so balancing alone will never make them ride 100% smooth. Somehow they find where they need to go and the force of the tire spinning keeps them in place. They work on the same principal as the Equal does. I think if you have a little too much in the tire it shouldn't matter because they will balance themselves against themselves if they need too. Another benefit of continously balancing methods such as golf balls, plastic bb's, and Equal is that they will balance your tire even if you have some mud on your wheels.

I didn't know about them at the time I was purchasing the golf balls. I went to wal-mart and bought a 48 pack of used balls for $20.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have em in my 38s and 42s, and my buddy has em in his 38s. They work, you need different amounts for different size tires. I have been meaning to put them on the balancer, but havent got that far yet. What size tires?

11. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about useing this product in my 36 Swampers with PVC double beadlocks inserts on hummer wheels.
    http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

From what I've seen, DO NOT USE CO2 to fill tires with the powder stuff. To much moisture will be the result. Then clumps.

12. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

im prob gonna try the same stuff

13. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Great link- Thanks! I had originally wanted the equal, but then I started reading the different problems with it. Then the best idea I heard was the soft air bb's. It looks like the "Dyna Beads" are the way to go. They were developed specifically for this, and they are almost the same price as the soft air bb's. It said that they're reuseable, but who cares if they aren't when you're done.

14. fire dawg

fire dawg Registered Member

Wow, those dyna beads are really resonable. about the same as getting the tire balanced. i could have sworn that someone post a link not to long back with a similar product that was like 70 bucks.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

equal ?
    golf balls ?

lmao

ill be damned

have i heard it all now ?

lol :haha:

thats crazy

i had no idea.. :doah:

whats link to these dyna beads ?

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I just had Equal put in my tires and I'm not sure if it really works or not. Some days I swear it's smooth as glass and other days it feels like I have mud in my rims.

I had a hard time getting it installed. Most of the passenger car tire shops don't have a good drier for the air and they don't usually have any experience with Equal. Most big rig shops won't work on anything smaller than semi tires and wheels. I bought the stuff from one place and had another install it and I'm still not sure they really used dry air. A couple of shops were quoting me close to $100 just to throw in a bag and mount the tires on the wheels. I was about to buy my own tire mounting tools!

If you get it wet, you're out all of your original money for the Equal and the mounting. Then you get to pay for it all over again. If you do it right though, the tires are balanced for their whole life, all for about the cost of one weight balancing. Make sure when you buy it that they give you the filtered valve cores and the sealed caps.

If you need more Equal later (because you didn't use enough to begin with or the tire is wearing funny), there is a special tool for the shops that blows the product in through the valve stem.

For the airing up and down thing, I picked up an air filter/dryer (with a drain) and some disposable desicant dryers from Harbor Freight. They are intended to put on a paint spray gun. I will just use that right before my air chuck. I just need to make an adapter so that I can use any standard gas station air with my little in-line drier.

17. trailblazr81

I think the guy said it was like $5 a tire for throwing a bag in. Im not exactly sure. all I know is I ended up spending near $500 for some mount and balancing, exhaust work, and a new Optima Battery...oh and for the guy to tell me I need new ball joints tie rod and drag link. Now Im grinding the Calipers to get these wheels to fit!!

18. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I had equal put in my 38 swampers. I never had a problem with the equal clumping up. The only problem I had was when I was driving on the hwy and I would hit a bump, crack and it would shake the crap out of the truck untill the equal balanced it out again.

19. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

What about regular old BB's for a BB gun? would they work too?

20. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I do't know what the "Dyna Beads", but you can go to Walmart and get a box of "air soft pellets". They are the same thing. Use this chart to know how many http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

I've been playing with the idea of using a stop leak product called "SLIME". From my experiance using it in ATV tires it pretty much stays in the same slime form that it originally was and doesn't dry or turn hard. I believe that it should act the same as any other of these products by slinging to the spots that it is needed once the tire is in motion. It would also act as a leak stopper if you were to get something in your tire. :thinking:

Alot of people use regular BB's but i've heard that heat may become an issue and wear your tire from the inside out.

troy