Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Equalizer's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ALC316, Jan 30, 2001.

1. ALC316

ALC316 Registered Member

Equalizer\'s

Hey i was just wanted to ask someone if it benifits your system by having an equalizer? and if so what is the best kind and how does it help. thanks

Adam

86 K5

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Re: Equalizer\'s

I am interested in one two. I never had one with any of my systems. My front 3.5's take a beating from two much bass. Any one have any suggestions or advice for us?
    Thanks

74 Blazer
    Ramble On

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I am interested in an e.q. also. I never had one with any of my systems. My front 3.5's take a beating from too much bass. Any one have any suggestions or advice for us?
    Thanks

74 Blazer
    Ramble On

4. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

i wrote up a big post a day or 2 ago and tried to post it and it wouldnt let me. so if you have an questions i would more than happy to answer them. you can contact me using AOL or AOL instant messanger by the name Madwombatz. but in short. i would recomend one. but there are many different kinds, get a hold of me and tell me your individual situation and i will try and help. Peace.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Feel the Thunder
    [​IMG]

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I found the Pioneer EQ-6500 on the net. I haven't tried it, but I love the specs. It has not only a low-pass filter for the subs, but a high-pass filter for the rest of the speakers. Just what you need to protect your 3.5"s.

I'm planning on getting one of those as soon as the pocket allows.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Zepplin: I've installed 100's of pairs of bass blockers on smaller or older speakers and they really do make a difference. Cheap and easy to install...alot more so than an EQ.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Don't get an EQ to eliminate bass in your front speakers. Get bass blockers like '73 K5 recomends. An EQ isn't really necessary unless your looking for some serious sound quality, and no offense, but if your still using 3.5" speakers in the dash your not going for serious sound quality ;)

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've never been that huge of a fan of the 1/2 din size in-dash style EQ's. They are just screaming 1991. You really can't do that much with them and they can bring more distortion into your system. And if you are thinking about buying one to use the crossovers, you might not need to because almost every decent amp on the market already has a built in crossover. If you still want more versatility in a crossover, or more than just bass and treble controls on the radio, a good EQ can really make a difference...a remote model like the Audiocontrol EQT. An EQ should really be one of your last improvments to your system. Start with a good CD deck, then the replace the speakers, then add an amp and sub(s), then add an amp to power the other speakers, and then maybe a capacitor or an EQ.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Agreed about adding an EQ in - an EQ is a last resort. When you finish your system, if there are dips and peaks in your frequency reponse that you just can't fix with your regular controls, an EQ is for you.
    An in-dash EQ is good if you want instant switching for your music. A good setup to have is an in-dash EQ for on-the-fly adjustment with specific music, and a trunk-mount EQ that you set and leave it alone.
    Pioneer EQ-6500: I ran this piece for about 9 months or so - I loved it. It offered a lot of control over the system, three RCA outputs, lots of sub control features, etc. It was very useful. I sold it back in January though.
    When it comes to distortion, the less items in the chain, the better. Anything along the way can cause distortion. However, I never had that problem.
    I'm picking my Blazer up within a month it looks like; when I reinstall my system in there, I will have a Pioneer DEQ-7600 in the dash(full-DIN DSP/EQ 15-band graphic), and a HiFonics VII Pegasus 28-band 1/3-octave EQ in the hatch. Can't wait to set my stuff up in there.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I will echo the sentiment of the rest of the responses....EQs are probably one of the least understood and most misused components in car audio.

The bass to you front speakers can be blocked with a simple high-pass crossover...that's really all a "bass blocker is". If you really want to get "geeky", you can build your own crossover with some pretty basic components, there are probably a dozen websites that will explain how....then you can use a really steep crossover slope (like 18dB or 24dB) so that you can very accurately limit what frequencies hit those 3.5" speakers, but still get the best performance from them. [​IMG]

As for EQ's....a dash mounted is probably a waste of your money. The best bet is to use one that runs off the line-level outputs of your deck and feeds the inputs of your power amp(s). Also, IMHO...EQ's should really be used to "cut" exaggerated frequencies, not to try to "boost" missing ones. If you have huge suckouts in your frequency response, it's more likely due to poor speaker placement or improper matching of components or crossover points.

I have a simple philosophy on car audio......A good quality (high voltage) deck, LOTS of amplifier power, and a few good quality speakers. There is something about a system with plenty of reserve power that just makes the music feel "effortless"....a lot more of the subtleties of the music are apparent and it makes it a lot more enjoyable to listen to.

Hopefully this helps....good luck

-Greg72
    '72 K5 CST
    w/ Big Bad 427
    "My 7-Liter Bronco Eater!" [​IMG]