Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Error codes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Sep 4, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok, got a question for the fuel injected guys. I was up in the Sierras this weekend doing some wheeling at the High Sierra Poker Run. Our campsite was at about 8500 feet and we were wheeling anywhere from about 7500 ft to 9500 ft. A couple of times when out on the trail, my "Check Engine Light" came on, then went off quickly. The truck felt fine, so I didn't think anything of it. On the way out yesterday, the light came on again as I was leaving for home. This time (in 2WD) I could feel a slight decrease in power and a rougher idle. So, this time I got out my little paper clip and checked the ECM codes. It gave me codes 42 and 44. My book mentioned the Electronic Spark Timing, possible vacuum leaks and also the O2 sensor?? Well, when I started up the truck after checking for loose wires and vacuum leaks, the light did not come on again and the truck seemed back to normal. I drove down the mountain and all the way home (over 7 hours) and the light never came on. However, I could still feel a decrease in power on the top end, like it wouldn't rev up all the way??

Anyone have any ideas? I figured the thin air up there was screwing with the computer, but it still doesn't seem to be running like it did before the trip, even down here at sea level...

Oh, and one other thing that I thought was weird, when I turned off the truck to check the error codes, the Check Engine Light did NOT come on when I turned the key to ON (and yes, it was BEFORE I grounded the two contacts in the ECM port thingy). I hit the gauge face and the light came on! Any connection perhaps, or just a weird circumstance? It has not failed to come on since!! Sometimes these things are so WEIRD!!!

Thanks for any help you can give...

Keith

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Anyone? Anyone? [​IMG]

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Guess I better go get this thing scoped at the dealer...anyone have ANY ideas?? Real pain is that I was supposed to get it smogged this week, and I can't do that if it has a spark problem or whatever it is saying...

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

bad air filter? just a guess

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Check the oxygen sensor wire, might as well replace it also. Also check the vacuum hoses, TBI gasket and intake gasket. Is it idling high? The Code 42 suggests checking the ignition module.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>