Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ESC Electronic spark Control SES msg

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My 89 has been acting up a LOT here lately. I'm running a factory TBI350 with NO changes. When I go to get on the gas, especially when cold, it does nothing. Doesn't really sputter, just nothing. Well I guess thats not true. Half the time it dies. When it doesn't and I can pull it out, it pings a little then starts running okay again. Also, when I'm on the highway at around 65, it will just cut out. I thought for a while it was fuel, but I'm leaning more towards spark now.

This morning, I got a SES light when I checked the codes, it was for the Electronic Spark Control Module. None of the local parts houses have this part in their computers. Anyone got an idea of what ELSE it might be called?

I'm thinking that a change is in order on the plugs and wires, especially since this is a motor w/ less than 10k miles on it. Before the new motor went in, I replaced all the sensors the cap, rotor, plugs, wires everything. When the new motor went in, it got new plugs, but the rest stayed.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are getting a code 42. My best guess is you have either a bad magnetic pickup coil or dist module. Bothe of these are in the distributor.
    The electric spark controll module( flat square box located next to the TB on pass side) usually doesn't cause too many problems. They are usually a dealer item and cost $$$$
    Check the dist module and pickup coil first before replacing anything else.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I replaced both of them to no avail...

Dealer only, Dang, I hate to hear that.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

is it throwing code 42 or 43? Mine used to throw 43, and I think my timing was a little too far advanced, if i got on it, it would ping, and the SES light would come on. I have retarded the timing since then, and it doesnt happen anymore...now its throwing a code 42 though...hopefully someone will know what causees this. any btw, the ESC module is the same as the ingition module.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Code 42 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's going into the shop tomorrow so the guys that put the motor in can give me some feedback as well. I just like to try and get a little info ahead of time /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the replys guys...

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

My dad just had the exact same symptoms in his 89 blazer totally stock. He put a new computer in it and it took care of the probs. I know they don't usually go bad, but I'd say thats your problem since you've already replaced most of the sensors.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My dad just had the exact same symptoms in his 89 blazer totally stock. He put a new computer in it and it took care of the probs. I know they don't usually go bad, but I'd say thats your problem since you've already replaced most of the sensors.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer

[/ QUOTE ]

Changed that to0 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm up for about anything though. I'm hoping that the shop has some more imput tomorrow. Thanks for the replys though...

8. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Befor you change any thing I have found that cleaning up the ground Wires that ground to the DIS, ESC,Igniter or Block can sometimes result in a correction. I have chased the parts before it can get expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer

[/ QUOTE ]

Changed that to0 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm up for about anything though. I'm hoping that the shop has some more imput tomorrow. Thanks for the replys though...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you having any other weird problems like your gages bounce when you use your turnsignals....Dim tail lights, weird junk?

If so make sure the ground strap from the back of the passengerside head to the firewall was put back on. That causes a tone of problems and sence the ECU grounds to the body.......... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah. Speaking of grounds.When you put in the new engine. Did you hook up the ground wire that goes from the engine block to the body?
    Not havin a good engine ground can screw things up.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Grim. its Twilight Zone time again. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Check out the time on our last posts.
    The omnipresent CK5 mind strikes again
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Grounds hooked up. That's one of the first things I checked.

Their's really nothing else odd going on. Everything seems to be working normal (except for the T-case which is grinding /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

I had a shop put this motor in, and it is still under warranty, so they are doing the checking now. I spent about 2 hours last night checking all the connections and cleaning things up. It is now running exactly the same. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'll let you guys know what I find out...

Thanks again.

13. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Electronic Spark Control Module
    Wells: ESC100

$57.99 from Autozone

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Electronic Spark Control Module
    Wells: ESC100

$57.99 from Autozone

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif YOU ROCK MAN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif THANKS!

15. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

No problem. I knew we carried it because I checked into it when my brother was having problems with his truck.

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When I had a code 42 it was my knock sensor, replaced it and all was well, no more pinging.

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I had a code 42 it was my knock sensor, replaced it and all was well, no more pinging.

[/ QUOTE ]

MUDFROG nailed it. It is actually a combination of a few things. The knock sensor was the culprit though.

Now, that being said, I have a REALLY weak fuel pump that is causing some problems, and I may go ahead and change out the ESC just for peace of mind...

Thanks for all the input guys.