Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

esc module

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, May 8, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

My Blazer won't start, it's cranking fine, doesn't sound like it's firing...I read old posts and someone with the same symptoms referred to an ESC module? What is this? and where is it located on an 85 K5????

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Huh? Anyway, it's got to have gas, fire, and air to run. See if you can find any of those missing and then work from there. Maybe that was a typo er something. I hope someone else can come along and shed some light on this for ya! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check to see if the carb is getting gas. Take off the air cleaner, and pump the gas...do you see it shooting into the primaries? If so, you've got teh fuel aspect taken care of. From there, just take off a plug wire, have someone crank it, and check for spark...i'm betting no spark if you are getting fuel and its not trying to fire.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

ok, after a search I found out it stands for Electronic Spark Control.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

What yr blazer? If its HEI remove a spark boot, insert a screwdriver, ground (small air gap, like a sparkplug gap) the screwdriver on the block,frame...... and have some crank the engine. You should see a spark, if not, you need to replace the module. They're about 30 bucks at most parts stores.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

6. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

No Spark

No spark, nothing......You guess the module then? nothing to do with the distributor?
    Why would this be the case, it was driving normal last night, just wouldn't start this morning.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The module is inside of your dist. You remove the cap and underneath the vac advance pot there is a "horseshoe" looking device, that is your module. To remove it the vac adv plunger arm has to come off. I think its a c clip that hold it in place. Then remove the two 5/16th screws and the module will pop out. Most places can test these. Be sure to put the silicone underneath the new one before you install it. These give out when they have nothing better do to. I have had them crap out in the middle of rush hour. GOOD LUCK
    Hey what part of Alaska are you in? I have some friends in Palmer

Jim

8. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Hey, thanks.....
    I'm in Anchorage, not far really from Palmer, about an hour I guess

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Man I'm never gonna reply to a post for you again! My module burned up tonight! No [censored]! I help you and what thanks do I get? Alright, I see how it is...........My fault tho'

Hey if you can get your hands on a Palmer phonebook I'd like you to look up a few names if you could/would.

Jim

10. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Agh, raining tonight, and of course the garage is still full of winter crap....I'll have to take out the module tomorrow in the driveway, I went out and bought a repair manual so I know what I'm doing hahaha,
    Sure, gimme names and I'll do what I can for you...