Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ESPN2......WATCH IT TOMORROW!!! (football) *WE'RE GOING TO THE FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That's right, if you want to watch a good football game tomorrow, be sure to tune in to ESPN2 at 12 PM for the Appalachian State vs. Furman game. We're going to the top, guys!

This will only be our 4th or 5th televised event in school history, so we will impress.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  2. BigOrange90Jimmy

http://http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

"No. 3 Furman (11-2) at No. 5 Appalachian State (10-3), Saturday, 12:00

The Paladins travel to Boone for one of the most intriguing semifinal matchups in recent history. Furman and Appalachian State have one of the fiercest and closest rivalries in the sub-classification, but are meeting for the first time in the postseason. Furman holds a 21-11-3 edge in the all-time series, and beat the Mountaineers, 34-31, in Greenville on October 8. But the Mountaineers have enjoyed some recent success in the rivalry as well. Appalachian State won all three meetings from 2002-04, and each of the last four meetings have been decided by three points or less. Furman head coach Bobby Lamb is 1-3 against the Mountaineers, while Jerry Moore has an 8-9 record against Furman. Furman is here after winning at Richmond, 24-20. The Paladins are in the semifinals for the first time since 2001 and sixth time in school history. The Paladins are 3-2 in semifinal contests, and are trying to make their fourth national championship game appearance. Furman won the 1988 national title and lost in the championship game in 1985 and 2001. For Appalachian State, the stakes are even higher. The Mountaineers are making their 13th playoff appearance, but are still searching for their first trip to the national championship. Appalachian State lost in the semifinal round in 1987 and 2000. The Mountaineers do have an impressive resume at home. Appalachian State is 6-0 at Kidd-Brewer Stadium in 2005 and has won its last 17 home games overall. Furman has not won at Boone since 1996, though the last three contests were all one-point losses. The Paladins do, however, have an 8-7-2 all-time mark in Boone.

When Furman Has the Ball: The Paladins have the type of offense that matches up well against Appalachian State. Furman can run and pass the ball effectively, and will undoubtedly look to repeat the success they had on the ground against Appalachian State. In the first meeting, Furman tallied 176 rushing yards on 49 carries by grinding it out with Jerome Felton, Cedrick Gipson and the rest of the talented backfield. While the yard per carry average was not great, keeping the Mountaineer defense honest helped Ingle Martin to throw 252 yards and two touchdowns. Martin’s main target is Justin Stepp, who is coming off a career day with 11 receptions for 143 yards against Richmond. Stepp will probably be Martin’s top receiver again, but look for the Paladins to spread it around and involve talented tight end John Rust in the passing attack. Appalachian State has done a good job against the run lately, and has lowered its yards per carry allowed to 3.7. But the Mountaineers still give up more than 163 yards on the ground, while allowing just 157 through the air. Jason Hunter and Marques Murrell will bring the pressure to Martin, but it won’t be easy with the Furman signal-caller’s elusiveness in the pocket. Furman proved it could score on Appalachian State in October, and will need the same balance on offense to put up points again.

When Appalachian State Has the Ball: Furman actually may benefit from facing Richmond a week ago. Spider quarterback Stacy Tutt has similar scrambling ability to Appalachian State’s Richie Williams, and the Paladins did a good job at least containing Tutt. Of course, Williams and Tutt aren’t exactly the same player, either. Williams continues to show an ability to win games with what the defense presents him. For most of the season, he’s used his legs (914 rush yards, 5 TD), as Appalachian State was able to beat opponents on the ground. But, last week, Williams threw for 367 yards and three scores on a day where Appalachian State was held to 3.5 yards per carry by Southern Illinois. Despite that success and Williams’ ability as a passer, Furman stands a better chance by shutting down the Mountaineer running game and making Williams throw. The Mountaineers ran for 165 yards and nearly five yards per carry in the first meeting with the Paladins, and will try to duplicate that effort with Williams and Kevin Richardson (1277 yards, 15 TD). Furman’s run defense is playing at its highest level of the season after struggling early, and did a good job against Nicholls State and Richmond in the playoffs. They’ll need another strong effort, because the Paladins can’t allow Appalachian State to control the game on the ground. Appalachian State is probably going to move the ball and put up points against the Paladins, so Furman needs to make big plays and force some turnovers in the passing game.

Intangibles: Furman won the first meeting in Greenville, but, historically, that’s not a good thing. Last year, Montana and James Madison avenged regular season losses by defeating Sam Houston State and William & Mary, respectively, in the semifinals. William & Mary defeated Delaware in the playoffs after losing in the regular season. This year, Cal Poly defeated Montana after losing in the regular season. McNeese State lost the national title game in 2002 after defeating Western Kentucky in the regular season, and Furman paid back a regular season loss to Georgia Southern in the 2001 postseason. Appalachian State beat Marshall in the regular season in 1987, but lost in the playoffs. While the theory that it’s hard to beat a team twice in the regular season is often overblown, there is data to back it up in the I-AA playoffs. The familiarity between the teams here should keep the game close. These matchups are always tight anyway, and both teams have a pretty good idea what the other one will do. Playing at Appalachian State is obviously tough with the Mountaineers’ home success, but at least Furman will be familiar with the surroundings. The Paladins have dropped four straight in Boone, but did play well every time. A pair of senior quarterbacks lead the respective teams, so don’t expect any nerves behind center. Appalachian State has more pressure coming into the game with the No. 2 seed, home field, and chance at the school’s first trip to the national title game.

The Verdict: The general consensus is Appalachian State wins a rematch at home after losing a close game at Furman, but it’s a tough call. I picked Furman to win the national championship before the season, and recently the Paladins are playing like so many people thought they would. The 9-2 regular season was great in its own right, but the improved play of the defense, especially against the run, makes Furman a more serious contender now than it was a month ago. The complete effort on both sides of the ball makes the Paladins very tough to beat. But Appalachian State is still the best team I’ve seen this season. The Mountaineers do everything well, and can beat teams with the run or the pass, or with offense or defense. Furman can do the same, but I think Appalachian State is more impressive on both sides and has more team speed. The Mountaineers impressed me in September, and I pegged them for the national title after they handled Georgia Southern and played LSU tough. I see no reason to change that opinion now, even though the game with Furman will come down to the wire again.

Prediction: Appalachian State 34, Furman 27

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Worst call by a coach ever? Yes I think so. Texas St. coach has over a minute left in the 4th, 3 timeouts, but calls to knee on the ball and go to overtime. End result? Texas loses 40-37 in OT to UNI.

We'll see them in Chattanooga next Saturday!

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Yeah I go Texas State. That was the dumbets call ever. What a dumb f***!!!!!

That makes me so freakin mad.

You always go for it.

I dont know what that idiot was thinkin

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

Man, even I was irate over that. I'm wondering who paid him off. I was really looking forward to seeing us play Texas St.

6. hunterguy86

Man i didnt know you went there. Hell if we won I woulda possibly got to meet another ck5 member.

F*** coach baliff

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

APPALACHIAN vs. UNI!!!!!!

COME GET YOU SOME OF THAT!!!!

8. hunterguy86

Go APPALACHIAN!!!!!!! Beat the h**l outta UNI!!!!!!!!!!

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah. Go APP!!!