Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

esteban

Discussion in 'The Test Lab' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 17, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What happened?!

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i wouldent have minded a hyjack, what happend dude?

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

LOL, FUNNY my own little thread!! :D

Grab the popcorn and the soda, it's gonna be long.

The 86 had gotten to the point of no return so I started ripping things out of it and one of those things was the smog crap.

So I decided to buy a 73 and build it to be the new truck. Well I had lots of plans for it and I was hopeing to wheel the 86 while i built the 73. After stripping the 73 down to nothing but a bare frame and a bare tub I decided I wanted to build a new frame instead of boxing in the old one. SO now I'm thinking that if I am going to build a new frame I will need a drivetrain to build around and then locate the body. I started to search for a dummy drivetrain that would work and left it at that. It's now been sitting on sawhorses for about 4 months and I have not done ANYTHING to it.

The plan of wheeling the 86 was working but as i wheeled it i broke it and so i had to work on it. So I decided to tear apart the 86 and put all my time and effort into the 73. I tore into the 86 and sold a bunch of crap off of it to buy parts for the 73. So now that the 86 is out of here I will direct all of my effort towards the 73. I have all the drivetrain that i will be useing so the building of the new frame and positioning of the body will be easier.

Th 73 is goingto get LOTS of custom **** done to it.

here are just a few:

Custom 2x5 .188 wall rec. frame
    body will be sectioned in the middle by 12 inches
    it will be narrowed in the front to the width of the radiator
    narrowed in the rear to the width of the gas tank
    boatsided
    52" springs in the front
    56" springs in the rear with the spring mounts moved in and under the frame

and a WHOLE lotta tube all the way around. I'll be getting some PRP buckets for the wife and I and a 3 seater bench in the back for the kids. Obviously a full cage and racing harnesses are in the picture too.

The drivetrain will stay the same 350,700R4,clocked 208 14 bolt dana 60 and 39.5. that combo has worked well and I think it will be just fine with a lighter narrower truck.

I told you it was a long reply. and if there are typos sorry. I'm not rereading it all. :crazy:

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

holy smokes. Thats going to be quite the build up. Are you making the frame your self, or having someone do it?
    Why are you going to section 12" out of the body? Wouldn't that lower the whole thing (since there is a big piece missing from the middle) and lower the windsheild lower then the cage (unless you are really short and have a really short cage planned.) Or are you not going to have a windsheild, like Watson at ORD does?
    Whatever happens, keep us updated!! Sounds like a killer project!

Steve

5. Esteban86K5

I am sectioning 12" out of the middle so the body will be narrower. I will be basically taking out the tranny tunnel and fabbing a new one. I will be running a windshield but it will probably be lexan since I can't run a stock windshield.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ohhhh gotcha now. Thats creative! tight fit though... can't wait to see it when it's finished!!

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

P

A

D

!!!

:xmas:

8. Esteban86K5

Oh and i forgot to add that i am making my own frame. I find it to be easier than boxing in a stcok frame!!

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

sweet

sounds sweet E.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

awesome! what are you going to do for the angles (or bends. whatever) are you going to get someone to bend it, or are you going to weld it together?

hope that makes sense...

11. Esteban86K5

I am going to cut it and weld it to get the different angles.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright cool.
    Good luck, sounds like a big project! :bow:

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno about getting a 3 passenger bench for the rear if you have 12" sectioned out of it...you'll only have 36" between the wheelwells. (unless you plan on moving those out some to gain the room back?)

Rene

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Soudns like a cool plan! Had similar body idea for my 82, but haven't touched it. :)

One thing though.. On the frame, why 2x5? Why not 2x3 or 4? 2x5 seems awful tall....

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd also go with .125" wall over .188 wall. Box tubing is so rigid you don't need the 50% extra weight...

Rene

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been contemplating building a frame out of 3"x4"x.125" box. On a K5 the frame is damn near flat and there isn't much side to side deflection I figured I'd just use two straight rails.

The nice thing about square tube is that it gives you something "square" to start from and you can run all your plumbing and electrical inside the tube.

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you took my idea to section some out of the width ;)

Will 12" turn it into early Bronco width or something more like Scout width?

I think you still need to make the windshield glass (like chris' truck) so that it is street legal and so you can run wipers for the mud. It would be real easy to make the factory wipers still work or you could also make a fold down heep windshield fit :cool1:

I'm also with Rene on making it out of .125" wall. With box tubing and the cage it will be very stiff. Also when you make the crossmembers I would put at least one in there that was an 'X' when looking at it from the top.

18. Esteban86K5

Well I got he 2x5 .188 wall fairly cheap so that is why I opted for it. I looked at 2x4 but it just seemed so damn small that i just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

The width in the rear will be fine for a bench since I will be leaving the wheel wells in the same place and bringing the sides in and cutting off what ever WW sticks out on the outside of the body. So the space between the wheel well will stay the same. I am not sure how wide a bronco or scout are numerically but I can visualize them and it should be fairly close. :D

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cheap is always good. I just checked on some 2x4x1/8 for a project. Local steel supplier wants $4.30/ft.. :eek1: