Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ethanol conversions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Jun 17, 2006.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

with gas being so expensive lately has anyone "converted" to e85 or e10 on a carbureted or TBI engine?
    if so how did you do it and did you notice any difference.
    im thinking about it on my 85 carb'd 350 and its not too difficult from what i hear and have researched, but i would like to hear it from somebody here in my similar situation if its been done before.

2. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

e10 is now a national requirement - no changes needed - it causes reduced emissions at the expense of mpg. I don't know about e85.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I was wondering about the ethanol content in fuel. Also the winter VS summer blend. I drive almost 200 miles a week, getting 13-15mpg last winter, but now, I get 16-19MPG. Same driving, same route. Summer gas? Is it that different?

4. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

you just need to change your gas tank and fuel lines to something that wont corrode when exposed to ethanol and tune the carb i suppose

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

carb mods..

If you plan to use 100% alcohol,the carb will need to be re-jetted to make up for the lower BTU rating..you'll need to richen it up quite a bit...and then you cant run gasoline in a pinch anymore..:doah: --depending on the climate where you are,you may need to rig up a "cold start" device to get it fired up below 30 degrees(nothing more than an electric fuel pump and a small gas tank,like off a lawnmower,to squirt some gas down the carb's throat to get it fired up first thing in the morning)...the timing will have to be advanced a lot too..

You wont get better mileage from alcohol,its lower BTU rating means you 'll burn MORE of it than gasoline..many folks here are complaining about reduced mileage with the new 10% ethanol blend now mandatory here..if your getting better mileage,it must be due to your truck being tuned better than before or something--or maybe you were running too rich before,and the addition of the alcohol leaned it out enough to boost your mpg...my truck only gets 12-13 mpg now,I used to get 15-18,and it spits back when its cold now,never did that on the "old" gas...

I'd like to make a dual quad setup,with one carb for gasoline,and one for straight alkyhol--"moonshine!":wink1: ..the trouble is, its more work making a still and cooking mash than its worth in the end..you could buy lots of gas with all the cash needed to do all that,and who has the time??.....:crazy: