Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ethics Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The ethics of the deal.

If you make a verbal agreement with another man, that word is your bond. It represents your code of honor, integrity, and character. If you take his hand, look him in the eye, and strike a deal, then you keep it. Regardless of profit.

2. 84blazend

84blazend Registered Member

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Did your wife type that James????:haha:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

100% agreed. A handshake is as good as a signature.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What if you don't have hands????

6. mikey_d05

I thought that 'shake' was gonna be our little secret? :confused:

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

In the end, a man has nothing but his word........:deal:

I sure hope this has NOTHING to do with a fellow CK5er. Guys who screw around with members of the Brotherhood don't seem to last very long around here. :deal: :deal:

8. mikey_d05

Especially mounties. :haha:

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah it hard to find someone that holds to therre word

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Agreed.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think if he is blind and can't speak and has no hands . Then it might be ok. so technically if you remove all of those items from him then that'd make you square again....

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

An explanation is in order here. :deal:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:haha: :haha:

14. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

funny you mention this...Thats the exact reason why i was about to go to jail sat. night. They went against their word and i was ready to kill cause of the rediculous outcome...They then told the cops i was making threats, which is falsifying police records or whatever, and had me put in cuffs till they finally listened to anything i said.:doah:

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I was a go-to guy (middleman) for another CK5'r who lives far away. The CK5'r was buying and I was juggling the payment and pick-up to help.

The local seller (non-CK5) who had the part gave his word to hold it for 5 days. He talked to the buyer as well as myself. I had bought from this guy before and trusted him enough to put myself in the middle of it. Apparently someone came along with a more appealing offer.

This evening I called said seller in order to arrange pick-up and payment for the part. I was informed the part had been sold 3 days ago, no aplogy offered. I said I thought that was a bunch of horse-poo (edited) and that I had been given his word on the deal. The next minute of phone time was overbearing flood of weasel speak about how word was given but not for a hold and how he couldn't be sure I was coming, blah, blah, on and on. All given in that "talk over you so you can't get a word in edgewise" I'm in the right blather. The seller had my phone number and the buyer's phone number. He never called to say there was another interested party, were we coming to get it or not, et. Common courtesies in my book. The gentleman went so far as to blame me for not reading his mind and understanding that a better offer meant our deal was void. He even had a prepared phone number of someone else with the same part who could give me a deal. :rolleyes: So after said defensive BS and obvious obfuscation I could no longer see straight and ended the conversation.

Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but to me your word carries a great deal of weight. More than any written contract. If I give you my word in a deal you can trust your life with it. It's that important to me and has an emotional root in my honor code. I have a problem with people who don't keep their word. Not just an offhand promise, talk of possible help, get togethers between friends - I'm not an obsessive nutcase.

What I mean is a genuine, face to face, eye to eye, handshake and agreement of intent. You'll know what I'm talking about when you experience it. It's tough to put in words, almost an unspoken exchange of honor & trust.

So in short it bothered me a great deal.

16. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe that a mans word is very important and if he goes against his word he can no longer be trusted. If the man said he would hold the part and didnt then I would no longer trust the guy. Sucks to be the middle man on deals like this. No you're not blowing this out of proportion. I would be greatly upset also.

17. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've let people out of a deal because I could see on their face that someone else was willing to offer more than we had agreed upon. Good contacts/friends are far more valuable to me.

Course I do get really hacked when I call someone to finalize the deal and or pickup and get told that uhhh, sorry, we sold it yesterday b.s.

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i hear you brother, i dont offer my hand in a deal unless i know i have got the balls to stand by it, (although i have done it and gotten screwed too)

so if i shake i dont let go till he looks me in the eyes and says deal, or when I pay someone for work or I get paid, I always shake and say were square right? and get it right the first time. leave no room for bitching later, and wont go back on it.

jimmy i guess the guy was a DEE-DEE-DEE

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Amen Brother. Shame is not everyone has honor and sometimes the only way to find out is the hard way.

20. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately there are very few people around any more who believe this way. I would say I know five people, give or take a couple, that I would trust on their word alone.

John