Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

evaluate my new build up.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunner78, Jul 10, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

..ok I am building my next truck(well gathering parts, heck my first trucks not even done)and would like people to give me opinons on the buildup.

ok here we go 78 K5 frame with unknown year chevy pickup cab, reasoning is the tub on my k5 is shot. Drivetrain 355/TH-350/NP203 part time conversion. Ok the motor is easy its a small block chevy cheap to build, good power, tranny well thats whats in it, and transfer same deal its there and it was just rebuilt. Axles dana 44 8 lug 4.88 gears locked(haven't decided on locker), 14 BFF 4.88 welded. Why these well 3/4 axles here are a dime a dozen yet a dana 60 will cost me my right arm and 1200 dollars. Suspension springer rear and 4 inch tuff country fronts, extended shock mounts and hd front shackles. Cause this works. Tires 37 either MTR's or boggers I am planning on MTR's since they are well priced. Well heres the build up what do y'all think. Jesse

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Sounds almost what I'm doing to my second K/5...except for the gearing(wish I had 4.88's!!!).Gotta love the "springer" rear...that sh*t flexes!!!

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Sound like my truck except shorter WB. is the tranny/TC combo something you already have? if not i would do the 205 if you can find it because of less parts to wear out ie. the chain in 203. if you already have it then run what you brung <font color="red"> just read the post again and you already have these /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif </font color> take the swaybar off, do a lockright in front and you can crawl w/ the best of them.

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

yeah already have the 203, and swaybars what are those...hehe, wished my build up was like yours, no dana 60 /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ...but I figure I can make it with a 44, and 37's gonna try lightest wheel possible, I have figured on two other things, I am adapting a Hummer style(hell its from a hummer) front radiator. moving the front axle forward 1.5 and the bobbing the back. Money is a key trying to make the most capable rig for the least amount of money. 4.88's were my choice since they will give me a decent crawl ratio. Jesse

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

sounds great so far!