Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Evaluate the potential of this shock setup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Parf, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Parf

Parf Registered Member

I found this on a web site HERE.
    [​IMG]

He is using this as a way to get increased shock travel in the front with the added benefit of 2 stage valving. Would this be something of value to us? Could we utilize this much travel? How about using this instead of the Ford shock towers?

Get 55Willy or 85m1009 on it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The ride would be super harsh and you would be buying 6 shocks.I think you would be better off buying or fabbing up your own towers and running long single shocks.

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree with Fizzlefry. Multi shock set-ups are nice to look at but they are expensive , harsh and often not necessary for performance improvements. I have dual RS9000s on setting 1 on my tow vehicle and still it is too harsh. Save the money and use it on something else. Just my .02. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif JT

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If I understand the pic correctly the two shocks on the sides are clamped to the upper mount but not connected to the axle. The middle shock which is quite a bit longer is attached to the axle and to a bar at the top. On compression the two side shocks would extend as the middle shock compresses (good for air time I guess) On extention the two side shocks would be compressed as the middle shock extends (droops) This could be a very long travel set-up, but complex and kinda spendy. The clamping of the two outer shock bodies worries me too. tight enough to hold the shock may collapse the tubes and hinder the shocks function.

Interesting at any rate.

Rene

5. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Harsh, The center shock will not perform well. Shocks are designed to work upright mostly, thus defeeting some purpose there, unless it is designed to run that way.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with Rene in his description and concerns. Also, as mentioned, mounting upside down is an issue on some shocks.

The only thing I want to add is that the drawing depicts a floating setup so it would be, at worst, no stiffer than the softest shock that is not at limit. If the system is setup correctly, it will be even softer for violent movements as each shock absorbs part of the shock, using up the softer range (smaller, slower movements achieved by dividing travel rate by (roughly) two due to floating rack) of all three shocks before approaching max resistance (caused by faster rate). At worst, when the softer of the shock systems (likely the center single) reach max travel, the others will then be forced to move. At least it won't hit hard...

That is, if I'm not simply too tired to make sense. I'm finally done in LA so, going home tomorrow. woohoo!

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have had that drawing on my computer for a long time. The only thing I have come up with is the fact that , needing that much travel on a leaf spring vehicle is almost obsolete. If you had coils or air bags then maybe I'd be looking at it. ALso the thing I would do is mount the two side shocks differently. If you go to that website he has a slick rear mount which I will be doing a simialiar one if I do the rear of the willy's in a 3 link with air bags.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Cool rear shock mounts. One I never thought of. The other looks like a design I was sketching for my K30 rear that uses the anti-wrap arms as part of the lever/mount for the shocks....