Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(EVEN MORE) New Stereo PICS are up on Webshots...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well I reached the limit of what webshots will allow in a single album (36 photos), so I had to start a second album....it shows progress to date....with the exeption of all the silicone sealing that I completed a little while ago. That willl dry overnight and allow me to install the subs for the LAST time (that's for good folks!) and really find out what they sound like. [​IMG]

The new photos show the cutouts for the speakers, and how I got the sub to sit "flush" with the face of the cabinet, instead of just "bolting it on top"....it's a little extra work, but I think it looks really nice that way.

Tomorrow is going to be more polyurethane (exterior of cabinets), polyfill stuffing, partial carpeting of boxes, and maybe even a little "full throttle subwoofer exercising"..... everything takes longer than I think it should....so it will probably take some additional time to get it all dialed in.

Here's the link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/gblanchette72

2. Greg72

By the way Triaged.....if you look at the pictures closely, you can see the brackets and trim pieces you "contributed" to the project. Kinda hard to miss those bright yellow brackets! [​IMG]

-Greg72

3. Greg72

....is anyone interested in seeing more of this stereo installation? I have completed the carpeting of the subwoofer boxes, installed the subs, and am now building the mounting plates for the (2) 6" midbasses in each door....I've also come up with a pretty slick location for the tweeters too...

I'm very excited about all the progress I'm making but I don't want to waste time posting another 30 photos if everyone has become bored with this thread.

Let me know........."yeah" or "nay"

-Greg72

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hell yes post those sweet pics man. This project is just what I need to pump me up to do mine. Great job Greg!!!

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

5. Greg72

Esteban,

Well I'm glad you do.....the K5 drew blood from me today.....that's a first in our "new relationship together" [​IMG]

I guess I can now join the ranks of the "Built Not Bought" crew officially.....there is real blood, sweat and tears going into this truck now! [​IMG]

-Greg72

6. Greg72

OK.......for those who are interested, I have posted 18 new photos on Webshots for you to check out.....

There's even a shot of my first K5-related 'injury'.....it's actually making it very hard to type this with all the stupid tape on my fingers [​IMG]

Let me know what you think......and let me know if you have any questions about what you see in the album.

-Greg72

7. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Hell my Blazer has about a pint of blood total just from the engine swap last year. It even claimed bone from my dad, ouch. He smashed his thumb and broke it and tore a ligament on the balancer (ALWAYS use the tool to put this on and not a hammer) so it has even more than just blood, sweat and trears.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

greg ya got me droolin man, let me know how it sounds.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

9. Greg72

Well I'll be honest, I've got a lot more pictures now but I've been too involved with the installation to post them.

To date, I have completed the subwoofer cabinets, the door mounting plates, and the tweeter pods (installed in the front footwells and angled up and toward the roof in the center of the vehicle. I have also mounted the first amp complete with all the wiring that goes along with it (power wire, remote turn on, signal wires)....I finally figured out the "pin outs" for the a/d/s connectors and I have been hand-soldering all my own DIN-8 style cables to move the signals from the crossover to the various amps.

I have installed the crossover, and the head unit in the dash. I had to run a relay to drive all the "remote turn on" leads because there were so many, the deck would not be able to do it alone.

Yesterday, I did at test run with the subs and the sub amp. That's all that is currently wired...I wanted to confirm that the custom cables I was building are correct, and to verify that a number of other things were OK too. I am happy to report that everything works as I had hoped!! [​IMG]. There is certainly plenty of BASS.....but it's a little strange trying to figure out what song is playing when you can only hear the notes playing at 85Hz and below!!!! [​IMG]

I will post some more pictures (in album number three!) so that you can see where things are now. I am a little embarrassed to say that this stereo is the only thing I've been working on for 8 hours a day for the last two weeks, and I probably still have another week to go before it's completed......I thought this was going to be a 'quick and dirty' installation, but somehow it's become a 120-hour project!!!!

Remaining items are to install the last three amps, run power &amp; grounds to each amp, and wire the power distribution blocks to convert 1/0 GA primary wire into 4GA, and utimately down to the 16 8GA ones I need. Also need to install the two 1 farad caps, and re-wire the alternator and ground straps in the engine compartment to the heavy duty wiring. Then it's time to power it all up and set the output levels, balances and fine tuning.....

-Greg72