Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Event Set-up. Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 20, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have some pictures of what Ive done so far in setting up for an event I'm holding Memorial Day Weekend. They can be seen at http://community.webshots.com/album/34744177oDQhcQ

We pre-crushed the cars in order to minimize any damages to other vehicles that will enter next weekend.
    The new mud pit that we have was filled with mud from a pond we are having dug. But, instead of mud, it is a grayish clay that looks like no-one could make it through, or let alone wash off. Should we get different dirt/mud, or just leave it as is?

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

For the mud pits, you have some good depth. But, from the pics, it looks like you basically have a deep water pit with some mud on the bottom (could be wrong, but that's the appearance). When we had our event back in March, we had two pits. One was designed for vehicles with stock and up to 33" tires. The other was deisgned for rigs with up to 44" tires. Each pit was tilled numerous times with a big tractor and tiller. This really deepened the mud. Our pits were 200' long with ditance markers every 5 or 10 feet. We would time those who made full runs and measure for distance those that didn't. Remember also that the more rigs that go through the pit, worse it will get. Especially at the exiting end where rigs are slowing down and chewing up the mud more. Also, the exit end will end up with a lot more water as it is constantly getting pushed that way.

Hope this helps some.