Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ever brake your 205 off the back off a sm465?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yuba K5, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

i was in coosbay or. this weekend(a long way from home)playing in the sand.it was the first time i have ever been weeling in the sand.my truck seemed to do real well until when coming over a long rolling hill at about 35 we found a five foot drop towards the bottom.we went flying off this clif and at the bottom the truck starts grinding when i put it in gear.when i look under the truck the t case is broken off the back off the 465.at the crossmember mount. /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif dang.after a little bit of searching i found a place that wanted to sell the adapter without the trany and tcase.we slaped her back together that night.i was a lot more carefull after that. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I haven't done it but I have a friend that did almost the same thing. He was playing on some sand dunes and after a couple of small jumps his adapter split.

I have seen several 465/205 adapters that were cracked across the top. I guess there's just too much weight and not enough gussets on the part.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an adapter crack but it was the 350 version 205. Usually if the case breaks off, it is usually due to the bottoming out of a driveshaft. Considering the drop off and pressure being exerted, you might have run out of slip on the driveshaft and forced the driveshaft to push against the case and crack the adaptor. The SM465 and 205 are both about as stout as you can get as far as strength and reliability (and yes I am still an auto fan /forums/images/icons/grin.gif). Unless it was a stress fracture, I would say it was the driveshaft that bottomed out and caused the adapter to snap. If you are going to do that again you may need to have your driveshaft shortened, install better bumps stops, or somehow control how much the suspension compresses. You can also get a longer slip shaft from www.highangledriveline.com

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yep, The only thing holding it in was the Shifter stick. I was plowing through some uncharted territory in the mud and hit something under it. Jumper the truck and broke the adapter. Not fun at all.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

That is why you ALWAYS circle around a hill before going over it to be sure there isnt a drop off. And let off the gas at the top. Sand dunes can be a lot of fun but they can also be very dangerous. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Do you have a side mount from the TC to the frame?

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Nope, all my stuff is stock. I've jumped my trucks going up hills several times and havent broke anything as a result so far. But thats a lot different than running off a drop off, and that isnt fun either.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yuba K5 did you have a side mount on your TC?

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Do you have one because Im interested if you do..

back to the topic at hand: a np205 is a heavy chunk of metal, and its ALL hanging off the adapter (if there is no reinforcements).. if he came down hard, the inertia that the t-case would have, is easily enough to break a cheesy cast iron adapter. I dont see it being that out of the ordinary at all.

im not ruling out the driveshaft theory by any means but I think my idea is a little more feasible & simply put.

just a couple cents thrown into the thread..

mike

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't believe having new adapters machined would cost so much to be prohibitive....its not like there would be no volume. They aren't cheap either, something like $150 or so, and thats for yet another cast piece.

11. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

i dont have any support to the t case.i have seen a 205 with that long bar bolted to the side of it,but my isnt tapped.i was trying to figure a way to support it because i think it was the weight that caused it to break.i dont plan on doing any more big jumps.captain safety says...look before you leap. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've seen several driveshafts bottom out and crack the adapter. 465/205 adapters are pretty weak. I broke one of the feet off of mine in addition to cracking it. Try running Polyurethane motor mounts and tranny mounts to control the torque. Also, if you can find the factory style torque brace, it is worth the hassle and expense.