Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever break a 14 ff gov lock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigMac, Oct 1, 2002.

1. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I know nobidy likes 10 bolt granade lockers and why,

Anybody ever break a 14 ff gov lock?

I went out and tested the one I put in deer hunting... So far I really like this diff..

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a friend with an 88 crew cab 4x4 with stock size tires that broke one, the guts looked like they'd been through a blender.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

!!!!IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Glad to hear that axle is working for you Martin! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I don't think you're going to break it....the Gov-Loc horror stories that I've heard are all 12-Bolt and 10-Bolt related....

But if you DO....14BFFs are the cheapest axles to buy Detroits for...! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

My gov-lock is close to breaking It is making a god -awefull noise ....

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

all im gunna tell ya'll with gov loc diffs like i have in 1\2 ton axles, is to put a magnet on the inside of the diff cover, my previous owner did, caught alot of the crap shaveings and chunks that could get caught in the spiders or ring and pinoin gears and cause more damage or somthing bad to happen to the diff. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Ok so was your budies axle a 14ff?

I have no idea what is in an 88 crew cab..

I've seen lots of blown...scratch that, grenaded 10 bolts.

I was out digging trenches with mine this weekend and it's damn stout. I can honestly say its goten my where my 4wd wouldnt before with a posi.

7. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

hell who doesnt want a detroit locker for a full size truck?

Hell yeh I finally got it installed. I had to have a second set of u bolts made because ORD is laggin on first gen flips and I couldn't wait any more.. I still have to work out some disk break spongyness..they work great if you pump one time first....did you ever come up with a fix for your break probs?

so far its the best thing I've done to my truck

I went and visited 4X4high at work today, about the front end parts. This project is comin right along...

thanks again for all the parts and lettin me drool on your rig.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

did not know gov's were ever used in FF's thought lockers were always used in the FF's ??

have seen lots of gov's in 14's.... in the SF's...

9. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

govs are the stock locker from chevy.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I guy I run with blew up several in one year. 454 with a 465 and he used it hard. He gave up and went to a detroit and never looked back.

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">My gov-lock locked up solid last year and felt like a spool, so I decided to put in a Detroit I had lying around. It's a good thing I had that detroit because when I took the gov lock out, the spiders fell on the floor.

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I have a busted one that I got from a local farmer for free. He had replaced it twice prior to toasting it the final time. By that time the truck had seen better days, so he was parting it out. The Spiders are fine, just the Governor part is screwed. Wish they made a Detroit that would fit in the GL case. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. I have the Gov Loc in my 14BFF, and reguardless of the horror stories, I love it. It's the best of both worlds. It's open on the street and then in the dirt, a tire spins like three times then a little "clunk" and it fully locked. Even when I turn around on the street after just being in dirt it chrips the tires, then unlocks. I really love this thing but when it goes it's time for a Detroit. Later /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

But, like rodzilla said, I thought that a detroit locker will not work in a 14B that was originally equipped with a gov-lock. I've read that some where as well. Maybe what I have heard is wrong. (I've been thinking about buying a 14 bolt from my local scrap yard, but the gov-lock issue is holding me back.)

15. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

The open carrier has 4 pins for the spider gears. The GovLoc has 3. Wes thought there was a Power Trax that dropped into the GovLoc case.

16. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, truely i do baby my gov-loc, it is truely a marvilious machainacal device to me, i love the fact that i can go up a rather steep dirt\mud incline in granny and 2hi and make it up at a walking pace, it is quite cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    btw how do you post pics on here i got a pic of my beast i want to show everyone, thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif