Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever buy/finance a brand new Quad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Dec 10, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm considering a brand new quad. The s10 project is a long way from being done, and the money to do so isn't there. All I do anymore is work and drink on the weekends. I need a hobby I can actually do at the moment, or soon. So anyone, most of my friends own sport quads and ride at least once a month. I love riding, but all I've ever really ridden is friends rides. I can't afford to flat out buy a used quad. But if I get credit approval I could probably finance a brand new ride. Mainly I'm thinking the Raptor 700R. I love sleds(hell my username comes from that fact), but snow just isn't there anymore. Besides quads can be fun in the snow too.

Anyway, anyone ever buy/finance a brand new quad? I know they are like sleds, they just don't hold the value. Did you regret your purchase? The only one I really know of who has done this is Muddysub, so I'll contact him direct too.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I would rather have a new one than as to have one that someone else beat on...........

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

my dad did, he loves his

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

that is one thing. Everytime I look at a used Raptor or something, I just don't feel any excitement seeing all the scratches and beatings someone else already put on it.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

So you don't have enough money to work the S-10, but enough to throw a down payment on a quad? How much are you looking at? I highly recommend NOT doing low introductory, no money down deals.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see thats the big thing. the low introductory and no money down is the only way I can do it. I'm just not making money at work. not enough to do big payments at the moment. my only thought and hope is I actually start making money in the next year and can afford to really make some big payments. not the best way of doing things I know.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Excuse me for saying so but this appears to be a real pattern. Start something, then stop working on it when it get's tough to make glamorous progress on...then ignore it for a few months, sell or scrap most of it and start something new. Now you're onto getting a quad...

My prediction is the shine will wear off well before the payments do.

Rene

8. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I seriously considered financing a Polaris Sportsman a couple of years ago. The financing is usually pretty easy to get, and if you pay the thing off during the no interest part they are a good deal. What it came down to for me was that I just didn't have time to use the thing, and didn't really have any friends who rode. The one friend I did have with ATV's had 2, and whenever I wanted to go he'd let me use one. If I knew I'd use it I'd consider getting one. I did finance my Harley, and now that it's almost paid for I am definately glad I made the purchase. I don't see any reason not to have a toy besides your other projects, etc., as long as you can afford it. Good credit builder too.

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The raptor is alot of fun but the 450's will stomp them in every respect but comfort ....and the Fuel Injection is nice if you have alot of different alltitudes you ride at I have a 2004 660 raptor a 2005 YFZ450 and a 2006 raptor 700 and I just put an order for a 2007 YFZ I've bought all my quads with Yamaha finacing but pay them off pretty quick

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I love the bottom end power of the 450s. Main thought on the 700 is the difference. I don't know anyone who has one. I know a friend with a YFZ 450 and another with a Honda 450R. That and a buddy of mine has a DS650 and has always talked crap on Raptor 660s. i'd love to whoop him, haha.

11. yellowK20

I have/ridden all those quads i still prefer the YFZ450 the best

12. yellowK20

The Suzuki 450 isn't as fast but handles friggin awesome all the .But the yfz is still a better bike IMO Cam Mod exhaust and remove the airbox lid and you can smoke about 70% of the quads out there

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well said. If you can't aford it without "things getting better" don't buy it. Things could always get worse......

14. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Having bought a few quads over the year Polaris will offer the the no interest or low interest for around 18 months when they are trying to close out a year, but you get screwed if you can't pay it off before the end of the indroductory period.

I bought our 2004 (two) quads this way, made minimum payments (I think it was 2.9%) then paid them off completely just before the 21% interest was going to kick in, but it was tough, I would not do it again unless I already have the money in the bank.

3 months ago I bought a 2006 Sportsman with the free winch offer, financing on that was at 13% for life of the loan, minimum payment is $99 which will take forever since the interest each month is almost 70%. I was going to pay it down by selling my 2004 Sportsman, but ended up selling my wifes 2004 Scrambler, (she switched to my 2004 500 Sportsman) but the money went to pay other bills instead of the Polaris card. And she has since quit her job which means I'll be just paying the minimum payments for a while.

Lesson here is don't do what I did, you should not buy anything you don't need unless you can pay for it with cash, I know it sucks not to be doing something but its better then being in debt over a hobby/toy. Just because you can pay the payment doesn't mean you can afford the toy and also life happens, jobs change, bills come up, cars breakdown, etc...

We are now refi'ing the house from a 15 year loan back to a 30 year loan and pulling enough out to pay off the Polaris card, home equity line and my Ford Excursion loan, I am also cutting up all the credit cards and going back to using cash or the debit card only. Its going to hurt but its what I need to do to make sure we can survive on one income even if she starts working again.