Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ever do a 6 to 8 swap in a newer Chevy?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by sled_dog, Aug 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think my 95 is going to be sold shortly. I am losing my license(9 points on it) and I won't be driving for 3 months. I am in a bad way money wise and nothings really going my way so I think selling the truck and getting out from under $6k debt will be a very good idea. But when I am close to getting my license back I want to start shopping for a newer(88+) 1/2ton short bed V6 2wd. I think it is a good plan cause I can get one cheap most likely and for a while have good gas mileage(I've never gotten above 10 in any vehicle I own). I will however start saving money and hopefully build a nice TBI motor for it. Something daily driveable but still hot. Has anyone ever done the V6 to V8 swap in a newer style truck? I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I may not be forseeing.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it has been done, but you can also build a pretty stout 4.3 v6 to power around in and get decent mileage...just a thought..

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nah I think I will be able to build an over 10mpg 325hp tbi 383. It may be a lofty goal but we will see. Biggest draw back will be the 454 TB with 75lb 454 injectors.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    it has been done, but you can also build a pretty stout 4.3 v6 to power around in and get decent mileage...just a thought..

[/ QUOTE ] Alot of people under estimate the 4.3 V-6. I had one in a 85 Monte Carlo, and it impressed me. Most people thought it had a 350, and couldn't belive it when they found out it was only a 4.3 V-6.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know its doable but I don't think even a stout 4.3 would power a full size 1/2 ton pickup like a 383.