Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever feel really dumb for falling for a scam?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 23, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I saw a Bobcat skid steer loader on ebay for $399 with free shipping, bidders must be pre-approved, etc... So I get all excited and email the seller asking him to approve me... I'm starting to get excited thinking this is going to be awesome, I'm going to get a bucket loader dirt cheap. Then a littttle tiny voice in the back of my head tries to say "It's a scam you dork!" but I ignore it.
    My second "would you approve me to bid" email was returned undeliverable (he had two of the same auctions going for different models), because relaying was denied...to a Denmark address... Both the auctions were deleted by ebay miutes ago.

I should have figured it out when all the sellers history items were $2 items, like flowers and stuff...

Man, I feel stupid. I was all ready to bid and getting all psyched up about it. I wouldn't have paid until I got the machine or got some 3rd party verification (like the shipper), but I feel like a dipstick for taking it hook/line/sinker...

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I got ripped off to the tune of 2900 bucks on ebay. They would not do a damn thing about it, cause I paid the "seller" direct, instead of through ebay. You really gotta read the fine print on their buyer protection, cause they will screw you in a heartbeat.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sucks!!

I'm working directly with a seller because his auction ended with no bids on a Chevy Pickup, but at least that will be face to face and I'll know where he lives. Losing $2900 sucks! Could law enforcement help at all?

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that blows but it gave me a really good idea for a scam.

if you look through a bobcat produt book they have every thing, including little perfect scale rc modles of there macheins.

i should buy a few dirty them up a bit. say they were used slightly and come with discounted shiping if you buy both, then simply mail the toy to them.

opps dont tell ebay

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

kinda like that pic of the game system from a few days ago. Pic of a nintendo, people were bidding 200 bucks for........didnt read the fine print lol.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My first "big city" experience.

The very first day I was in Norfolk with the Navy I got scammed.[​IMG] I was at a hotel and a guy said he needed a jump because his car wouldn't start. So I said I had jumper cables.:thumb: He said it was his girlfriends car, and she was working in the hotel. He had to go in and get the keys. He came back out and said she told him they had already tried to jump it, and that didn't work so it needed a new starter.

Here's where it gets good.:( His girlfriend is in the Navy, and the hotel job is a side job. Not that uncommon.:o He goes inside to get money from the girlfriend for the starter. He comes back out and says that she doesn't have the money, but she called her Chief and he agreed to help her out. So he asks if I will give him a ride to this Chief's house.:dunno:

Well, on the way there he sees a buddy and wants to know if I can stop so they can talk. After talking he says his buddy needs a ride to the same place, and will I give him a lift too. So they both pile in.:crazy:

We end up over in kind of a low-income housing area. The first guy gets out to go get the money from the Chief and the other guy stays behind with me. The guy comes back out and says the Chief only has a $100, and wants to know if I have any change so that he doesn't have to give up the $100 bill. Luckily (at this point I'm finally getting suspicious:thinking: ) I only have $20 cash. I tell him that's all I have. He says "Don't you have an ATM?" I lie and say I don't, because this is my first day in Norfolk (at least the last was true).:frown1:

So he takes the $20 and says he'll see if that will work and leaves again. We sit for about 10 minutes and the buddy says that he's going to go check what's going on.:dunno: I sit there for another 10-15 minutes without seeing anyone, so I decide it's time to bail.[​IMG][​IMG]

A couple days later at muster, our Chief gives us a warning and describes this exact con. Come to find out if they had gotten me to an ATM I would have been made to pull out all the money I had at gun point.:yikes: [​IMG]

:xmas:

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hell they dident read the large bold print, i wouldent pay if i realized, afterwards, and take the neg feedback.

can you imagin the money the crooks made in the early years of ebay.