Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever Fry a Roller Pilot Bearing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock44k5, Aug 30, 2003.

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Im putting my truck back together later this week after doing clutch and flywheel. Trying to do it all right so I don't have to do it for a long time. My question is about rollor pilot bearings. What's your opinion on them? I was going to use one for smoother take offs, but then got to thinking about the fact that its just another part that can fail, unlike the bronze bushing that has no moving parts. Any input appreciated. Thanks Alot.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I never had a problem with the pilot bushing in my 350's crank. When I swapped to the 6.2 I replaced what was left of the pilot bearing with another pilot bearing, made sure to thoroughly grease it though.

I'd say for simplicity the bushing would be the best option. They really last a long time.

Rene

3. bigblock44k5

so the bearing in the 6.2 crapped out?

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've had two roller bearings explode. They are a real PITA to get out when they're gone too. Something about drilling the end of my expensive crankshaft is not appealling to me.

Get the bronze bushing and forget about it.

My .02,
    John

5. bigblock44k5

That was all I needed to hear, thanks.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never had one fail because I refuse to use one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The pilot bearing on my 6.2 was FUBAR when I got the motor. I assumed it was damaged when the motor was oulled out.

Big PITA to get the left overs out of the back of the crank!!

Rene

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For a 4x4 use the bronze with pleny of grease. If you sink your truck with a roller it's about guaranteed your going to have problems.

I had a 86 RX7 and they had some problems with lack of grease from the factory. The roller bearing was eating it at 20k or less of normal driving. The real bitch is they can gaul the input shaft on the tranny. WHen it happens it jams and it's like it's still in gear with the clutch disengaged.

9. bigblock44k5

Sounds like some fun that I dont want to have. Guess I'll be getting the bronze bushing, Thanks everyone for your help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm gonna try one. Pretty common on newer vehicles apparently, and if my truck submerges that deep, the pilot bearing is the least of my worries.

I don't "ride" my clutch pedal when coasting/sitting at a light (although in this state its illegal to take it out of "gear") so I figure my pilot bearing/bushing will see very little wear anyways.

11. bigblock44k5

Im just looking for practicality, i dont want to take the tranny and transfer case out again because of a $5 dollar part. Good points were brought up, if i sink my truck i want this bearing to be the last of my worries.