Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever had a York compressor go bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Mar 20, 2006.

?

Ever had a York crap out?

1. Yes, in an OBA application

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Yes, in a factory A/C application

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. No, but I know someone whose has crapped out

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Never had one crap out, never heard of one crappin' out

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  5. Nekkid?

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I don't think I've ever heard of a York copmressor going bad. Just looking to see how many of you have had one crap out, either as OBA or A/C compressor.

2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I just want to state for the record I had nothing to do with this poll or question, I have made up my mind and am going with a York (ordered a rebuilt one yesterday) and will not be asking any more questions, or making any more polls on this matter. It is just a coincidence that this fine CK5 member is asking a question that is similar in nature to mine.:eek1:

Forgive me for Hijacking your thread.:D

3. mofugly13

No prob, your post was the first one when I signed on, got me to thinkin....
    I haven't been on for a while, guess you've been driving folks nuts with OBA questions?

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I remeber back in the early 80's my dads truck had an ac problem, he bought a new york (I had no idea back then) for it. Turned out to be something different. I found that same york when I was home a few weeks ago:D still has the tag on it:D and its a 210!!

So that is a no, I have never seen one go bad.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

We just pulled one apart that had been sitting in a grassy field for probably at least a decade. The aluminum housing was corroded something awful on the outside, and she was full of water. The clutch was rusted together, don't know if it'll clean up. But after taking it apart, the crank, rods, cylinders, pistons, head, all looked good. Slapped it back together and the thing checks out fine. I'm pretty amazed at it's mechanical condition after what it's been through. They're overbuilt for what they are, and pretty bulletproof in my mind. They're pretty cheap too. Of three york purchases I've been responsible for, one was $12, one was $10, and one was FREE! (the one I found in the grass at some guys place while we were checking out a rig). I asked him what it came off of, he said "Take it!" All I had to do was express a little interest, and it was ours. Never even bought anything off him either.

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Just had a hard time deciding on which system to choose from, guess it it a hot topic for discussion:D .

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It did not happen while in my possession, but I have a York with a thrown rod. No idea how it happened, but given how it came to me it was not part of an OBA system.

8. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

not to hijack, but what tools are required to take these off of a volvo?
    I found one at a yard, I just dont know what tools i need to go pull it. can you guys help?

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think a knife and a 9/16 wrench/socket will get it done.

10. mofugly13

What he said. Don't even waste your time trying to loosen the belts, just cut them off. You'll need the time saved to get the rest of the bolts out. They're awkward as ****! Volvo really tucked those things down in there. Or maybe it's Mercedes....Either way, dont just bring a 9/16 ratchet/socket. Bring a couple 9/16 combo wrenches, and a stubby combo wrench if ya got it.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Many, if not all, semi trucks use York compressors, and in my 9 years of driving I have had one lock up on me and another one had the front bearing go bad. I was in Eastern PA when the bearing went out. I cut the belt and drove over 900 miles to get home without a functioning alternator. Several of my friends have had them go bad also.

But... I would often start my semi on Monday morning and it would run continuously for 5+ days until sometime Saturday when I got home. So... semi trucks use the compressors a lot more than cars do, but they do go out.