Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever had one of THOSE nights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mr.Chevy4x4, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Have you ever had to walk away before you killed yourself or broke something beyond repair? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I was out at my shop tonight trying to get my 205 bolted back up behind my doubler.
    First try: Got it up almost into place and it slips off of the transmission jack. I catch it and set it on the floor.
    Second try: Almost there and it falls again. This time I miss catching it and it falls and cracks the concrete floor.
    Third try: Decided to do it the old fashioned way. Lift it up into place and I'm trying to get it to line up without being able to see crap because I am behind it. Move my left hand around front to guide it into place. Creeper(that never rolls when I need it to) decides to roll backward, I slip and mash my finger between it and the doubler mount. Down it comes again, bounces off of my knee and lands in the floor on the two bottom studs. Of course they are now bent and I don't have any to replace them with.

Needless to say, I'm glad my children weren't around to hear what flowed from my pie hole. Once I was able to drag myself from under the truck I decided it was time to call it an evening. I don't drink, but I might just start tonight! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Mike

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sucks. I had the same thing happen to me with a 208 once. Fell on me a few times. Gave up and got a tranny jack.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just broke my big toe by dropping a complete 14 bolt carrier on it...from about 3 feet up./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif after I could see straight again I took it apart to find damaged side gears and noticed the bearing cage was dented beyond repair. I guess i'll be swapping my new 14 bolt in a little earlier than planned...just not today!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

How's the knee?

Rene

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if you weren't 3 hours away i'd come by and help. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Mr.Chevy4x4, I have to agree with you about that creeper issue. What's up with that. Those small wheels never pivot when you want them to, and they can't roll over so much as a twig in the driveway.
    By the way. Sorry to hear about the fight with the 205. Don't worry, tomorrow will be better than today (it couldn't be any worse, could it?)

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

yup , did it putting in my own trannys , twice , after that , the t-case seemed easy , lol
    now when i do engines , i look for a hand....

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

The knee is a little bruised, but not broke! Sorry to hear about the toe.

If this thing doesn't kill me before I get it finished it ought to be fun to drive!

I just wanted to let you know that reading your post about your rear suspension convinced me to do mine. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I will have some pictures of it soon.

Mike

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Thanks anyway Chris! My "buddy" that was supposed to be here to help me this evening didn't show. I'll have to make sure and drop it on him tomorrow evening! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for the support everyone! Going through this kind of crap makes the end product that much more worth-while.

Mike

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hell, ever night is one of those nights for me! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My "buddy" that was supposed to be here to help me this evening didn't show.

[/ QUOTE ] Isnt that amazing how that happens? Never there when YOU need help, but always expect you to help them when theyre in a bind or need an extra set of hands.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just wanted to let you know that reading your post about your rear suspension convinced me to do mine. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I will have some pictures of it soon.

[/ QUOTE ]Cool deal Mike...if you like it now just wait til you drive it.
    Sorry to hear about the toe.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Funny how many nerve endings are in that area... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gifI got some great painkillers out of the deal though... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ahhh, I see your having one of my days... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just be glad your not like me where that is the normal way of things. See Willie over beside my post? Notice the title? Welcome to my life... LOL! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I used a floor jack and a 2x4 to lift my t-case. Surprisingly, it works.

15. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike, where in Alabama are you? If its not too far I might could help you sometime. I'm right next to 1-20 on the east AL/west GA line.

Will

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Here is a tip moving the x-fer case. Get a good cargo strap-at least 2" wide &amp; ratcheting, hook each end to a frame rail, now its supported and you can use a floorjack to position the thing. This works good w/ a 205 and even better w/ a 203. It works even better w/ the trans tunnel off.

17. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, that will work Jim. Mike, I had one of your nights Sunday/Monday. I put the Dana 60 in the front of the K5 by myself. Didnt get to bed till 2 a.m. an man was it a BEYATCH! Chain hoist, hand truck, straps, levers, crow bars. I bet my neighbors were loving all that cussing and banging.

Depdog

18. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ROTFLMAO! Ever have a buddy that is there to help you out when you need it. no questions asked, always willing to give you a hand and expects the same from you. any good natured person would indeed return the favor of a friends help. The thing that gets me is i only need a hand maybe once a month, and he needs a hand every day! kinda makes you feel abused.

19. Mr.Chevy4x4

Thanks for the offer Will, but I am down near Montgomery and it would be a long way for you to come.

I conquered that darn thing this evening! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif It is finally back where it belongs! I had forgotten how hard it is to get some of those nuts started, and even harder to get a wrench in there to tighten them! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks for all the support and suggestions!

Mike