Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever had that customer you'd like to strangle?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Jan 23, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Ever had that customer you\'d like to strangle?

Okay...if you are a customer of a small/local isp this is of particular importance.

Our little hole in the ground of a town only has one phone company...sprint. Well, sprint keeps "testing the lines" twice a week here lately. And it makes us go down. [​IMG]
    So, the techs are on the phone getting irrate and Peter calls (a customer and has called and been rude before and has threatened to take his 20 bucks a month somewhere else).
    "Do you know you all are down!"
    Me: "W...." I get interupted.
    "Let me talk to David!"
    "He's unavailable right now, can I take a message?"
    "Well, MAKE him available! I can't get on the internet blah blah and you guys are in a habit of not calling back!!!" Which is untrue cause he's been called back numerous times and he wasn't there and he's prolly too cheap to have caller ID or something
    Now, I'm pissed. I've delt with this guy several times and been nice and he thinks (prolly since I'm a girl) that he can just steam roll me or make me scared...whatever.
    I say (and I am very firm) :"Sir do you want him to stop what he's doing and listen to you carry on or do you want him to fix the problem?"
    he hangs up. 5 minutes later, it's peter again.
    "Let me speak to David!"
    "Can I tell him who's calling?"
    "Why?!"
    So, I put him on hold and left him on hold.
    He calls back
    "I've been on hold for 30 min! Let me talk to David!!" which again, is not true. It was more like 10 or 15 min.
    "Sir. He is unable to get on the phone right now. He's got two phone in each ear trying to solve the same problem that you are going to complain to him about!"

Later he sent a complaint about me to David. Saying that I was rude, blah blah. David told me, the next time he gets like that to disable his account and to seek service elsewhere. [​IMG] I can't wait till that guy calls back.

Why do people do that?

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

2. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Re: Ever had that customer you\'d like to strangle?

Those types are usually living a miserable existance. Instead of focusing on bettering themselves, they take their problems out on innocent people, giving themselves 15 minutes of satisfaction in their droll lives.

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun!

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

this is the reason that whenever our internet goes down here at the company that I don't bother to call them unless its been down for more then 20 minutes. at that point, I call thier automated message line. if no trouble message exists, or I had an irate boss/VP demand I call and get some answers, I'll call and wait on the voice line. 1/2 the time its fixed before I get through ( usually within 10 minutes of trying to call) the other half, I appologize to the tech, ask if they're having a system wide outage, then ask for an estimated time before the service returns. I then hang up, and tell the boss/VP/whoever wanted to know what the problem was that its down on thier end, and they're working to fix it, and it'll be back up later.

when I worked for the phone company as Directory assistance, I learned you absolutely NEVER EVER yell at the person who's trying to help you. if you do, and said operator/tech has had a long day already, they have a tendancy of doing bad things to you, your phone, and your billing. if someone called, asked for a search which turned up empty, and they refused to beleive it, ( especialy when they say `they're in the phonebook tho' ) I'd hit the `bill caller' button once every second or so, until they hung up. some of my more militant friends learned that if you hit the `emergency' button, they could not hang up. if they did, it'd hold the line open for you/them. they also learned that you can log off with them stranded on the line, leaving them there until someone else logged onto the terminal, and ended the call... the really creative ones stole an `out of order/work order repair' note, and taped it to the computer, unplugging the monitor to make it seem legit.

besides potentialy losing your service, and having an operator lock your line, its a federal offense to use obscene language on a phone... we've had a few instances where we pulled a few callers, and cut thier service, and refered them to the fed's ( generaly people who'd call continuously, and harrass more then one operator.

oh well, hope you get to be the one to pull the plug on this guy. he sounds like a real ass, and doesn't deserve to have service.

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Is he the one that came in the other day too? He sounds like an idiot.... back over his car with the Blazer on "accident" a few times. That will get rid of that stress! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oh my gosh, that was YOU?!?!

Just kidding... The bright side is you have the power and authorization to sqaush him!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

6. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I know exactly what you mean. I am a data tech for a small Telco. I install and maintain customer Lan routers and frame relay, ATM, T1 and internet services. I get calls all the time "My frame relay service is down, your company sucks, blah, blah, blah." I usually just tell them "I work a lot faster when I'm not on the phone getting yelled at." Most of my big customers know that they can leave me a voicemail, and I'll be on it right away. I usually only here from them if it's been more than a couple of hours. The smaller customers tend to bug the crap outta me, thinking that it will speed me up. WRONG!

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

7. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I worked at a Ritz camera for about 4 months as a second job just so I could get the discount and make a few extra bucks. I did not care if I kept the job or got fired. I loved dealing with @$$hole customers. And my fellow employees started sending them to me.

My favorite customer was when I was a teller. This guy comes in witha pay check and says, "i'd like to cash this&gt;"
    I ask,"May I see your ID?"
    "I forgot it, but I'm Joe Blow." (He did not actually say that, he said he was the guy whose name was on the check)
    So I asked him if he has an account at this bank.
    He said, "No, I'm Joe Blow."
    I said,"I'm sorry I can not cash this with out ID or a signature card to compare with."
    Then he gets mad and starts yelling at me. I took his check. Walked around to the front of the counter and went to another teller and said,"I'd like to cash this check."
    She knew what I was doing and said,"I need to see some ID please."
    I said,"I'm sorry I forgot it, but I'm Joe Blow."
    Then the guy got really mad and yelled; "NO YOU'RE NOT!!! I AM!"
    And I said, "That sir, is exactly my point. With out ID to prove who I am, she does not know if it is my check or yours. And without ID I do not know if it is your check or some guy you jumped down the street."
    He still didn't get it and yelled some more.
    I asked one last time for ID or if he had an account at the bank. He said no and I said "Leave now." And everytime he started to talk I made a grunting noise and put my hand up until he left saying he would never come back. I said "Thank you for that. Have a nice day."
    My supervisor took me in the back and said I could have been nicer about that but it was damn funny.

The customer is always right.
    Yeah right. The average customer is too stupid to always be right.

<font color=blue>Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, I know you said you're on Sprint, but part of my company in Texas has been having massive problems with an AT&amp;T box (they use several T3's). Out of the blue, bandwidth will drop dramatically on them, and they've determined it to be an AT&amp;T box somewhere there in Texas.

I dunno if you were aware of that or not, but maybe you guys can see if that may be causing some of your service problems also (I.E. if Sprint's leasing thier lines from AT&amp;T).

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

perhaps they need to pour some drano into the main pipeline/backbone thorugh texas...

:-P

when I worked up north at the trainpark, I refused to take 100 dollar bills, and usually wouldn't take 50's either. this kinda irked some people, but as I explained to them, `I only have 120 dollars worth of change... if I cash your 100 out, I have to close up, walk accross the street, break the 100, walk back over, open back up, listen to customer complaints at being closed, and lose 40-80 dollars worth of business. ' the ones that really got to me were the ones who'd come after I'd closed, and finished the book work, preparing to exit for the night. they'd come up as I was cramming the last bits of whatever into my backpack, and pound on the window, money in hand ( might I add, staring through the hours on the window, and closed sign) and demand I take them around the track. generaly, demands are met with me saying `Nope, i'm closed... been closed for 1/2 an hour. I'll be open tomorrow/next saturday at 10 AM, and run until 5 PM. somewhere in here, they start streaming BS about how I'm only closing because I'm rude/crass/a bastard/racist (some hispanic fellow said I was a racist against him and all his people, before reverting to some of the dirtiest mexican cussing I've ever heard from anyone) and that they want to talk to my boss. I generaly would tell them call the community center. tell them to extend the hours/tell someone who cares. if they would have approached me in a civilized manner, they would have been in for a helluva surprise tho: `sorry I'm closed &lt;pause for dramatic effect, to see the reaction&gt; but if oyu hang around for about 5 more minutes, you can ride down to the tunnel where I park this thing at... you'll just have to walk back from the tunnel is all' I generaly do this for anyone who's polite, got a little kid dressed up in an engineers outfit, or whipped into the parking lot, screeched to a halt into 2 spots, ran as fast as they could to the depot, only to learn that it was closed, and got that utter rejection look...

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

and do any of you know how frustrating it is to be put on hold, treated like you don't matter, and are charged for the pleasure of shitty service?
    i don't know peter, and i imagine he is an ass, but to be blunt, the customer is right, even if he's an ass. your company is in the business of making money, right? and where does that money come from?
    if i'm paying for a service, and that service is interrupted twice weekly, with no reduction in my monthly rates, i'm gonna be pissed. and if i get someone (male, female, other) on the phone that doesn't sound like they give a damn about me or my problems, i would complain. and because the world is the way it is, and because my boss has emasculated me, and because my dogs just crapped all over the carpet, i may be a bit testy when conveying my irritation.
    it does sound like peter (what a good name for him) is overboard, but sometimes service providers are a bit pompous. like they have so many customers, i don't matter to them.
    not telling you to shut up and take it, but think about the little guys with absolutely no recourse.

best case, get out of customer service. we are a bitchy bunch.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I know that this was meant for Muddin, but since I'm in a similar field, I'll throw in my 2 cents also. I understand that their service is out, and that they are paying hard earned money for that service. I start out by being as nice as I can be, but when they resort to cheap shots, I also lower my intelligence quotient. Like I said earlier, I work for a small Telco company. Last year we hit 100,000 access lines, which doesn't count frame relay or atm or point to point T1 service. As bad as it sounds, the smaller customer really doesn't matter that much. If I'm working on some poor slobs ADSL line that is down, and a T1 or DS3 goes down, the ADSL gets dropped 'til later. It's not my fault, I just do what I'm told, but it's easy to see why a $1,700 a month T1 would take precedence over a $40 a month ADSL line. When the aforementioned poor slob calls me bitching about his service still being down, I don't take it well. I don't do the hiring, and I don't make the decisions on what gets fixed first. I have been on the receiving end of this as well. Last year during the big flood here, we lost all of our access lines that were coming from Southwestern Bell through Houston. We were the last Telco to get all of our service up because we are the smallest and spend the least amount of money with them. That in turn pissed off our customers, so we got to be on the giving and receiving end at both times. Sorry to rant.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

12. delta9blazer

absolutely understood.
    money is what it's all about, and less on the payroll means more on the profit page. i'm a purchase agent here, and i get to be both guys during the day. the screwer, and the screwee. if i'm a guy's biggest customer, i get sweet service, and a rep kissing my ass. if i'm just another small account, i get toyed with.

13. muddin4fun

For example. You are dealing with a catastrophe (lines going down for an IP is a catastrophe). Joe Blow wants to b*tch about his poor service and is tieing up the person who answers the phone AND wants to tie up YOU just so he can b*tch when YOU are trying to take care of HIS problem that he's b*tching about. He has every right to complain, but he does not need to get irate with me because he can't talk to a tech who is dealing with an emergancy. Sorry, the other 1000 customers who can't get on the internet are more important than that one customer who wants to b*tch.
    And I'd say the same thing to a customer who has a big account, "He's unavailable..would you like to leave a message." because when lines are down, he's unavailable...period! To anyone. [​IMG]

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It is frustrating to be put on hold, but the customer is not always right.... I was in Subway where the girl was making this chicks sandwich. She did not say jack about not wanting mayo on it. I was watching her because she was one of those people who can't the cell phone off her ear for a minute. Anyhow she paid and left..... I get my food, I sit down to eat (I'm with my mom).... 15 minutes later this dude walks in with some sandwiches. He steps in the door and says where the f*** is the b*** who just helped my wife. Everyone is like whoa.... this girl is like can I help you...? He says yeah mutha f***er and throws the sandwiches at her. My wife didn't want mayo and told you that but you must have issues with black folks huh? He's going off and saying when you get off work I'll be waiting for you, you don't speak to my wife rude like that. My mom is like floored... he turned around and was like what the f*** you looking at d**m whitey cracker b****. Nobody said jack to his wife. This dude was psycho. The customer was not right. The police even said so when they were called to speak with him... [​IMG] Or how about when I was at the store in line buying groceries and this lady is like oh I forgot something... she walks off and leaves her cart in her spot. Well, her turn comes she's still gone so the checker takes me and pushes her cart to the side. This lady comes back and is irate and is going off screaming at the checker. WTF for? She walked away, like she was supposed to read her mind when she was gonna come back? Things like the customer is VERY wrong.... I'm sure we can all name more times where the customer is wrong.... that saying does not hold ture when the customer is an whiner, idiot, moron or a psycho....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

15. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Ever have a customer that you DIDN'T want to strangle ? LOL !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

16. muddin4fun

We've got lots of awsome customers! Out of all of our customers, there are only two that will really get to me on a bad day, so that's a pretty good customer base, ya know?

17. delta9blazer

yeah, there's a lot of mouth-breathers out there, doing their damnest to make everyone else as miserable as they are.

lol.
    damn whitey biitch.
    thats funny.

18. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

everyone hates being put on hold, like you don't matter, but there's little you can do about it, except find service elsewhere. generaly, if my service went down with my DSL, I could call and complain, and then I'd have a few dollars knocked off the bill, but the 2-3 dollars knocked off did not make up for my time spent on the phone asking for the money to be removed.

the customer is almost never right. the customer is generaly kissed up to, to try and generate business, until the customer becomes a bigger jerk then its worth. when I worked at fry's food and drug (Krogers, or King Super to you non arizonans) there was a guy who came in got 5 carts worth of groceries off the shelf, then proceeded to pay for them using nothing but coupons... how'd he manage that? the first time, he told the checker `yeah, last time we did this, the computer locked up and died after a while of scanning the coupons in, and the guy just did it by hand' so, the cashier entered each coupon by hand, not really glancing at what they were really for... so, the guy got 800 dollars worth of food for 45 dollars, and he was complaining that he was getting ripped off, and should have closer to no dollars, or be owed money for the privelage of shopping there. so, the next week, he comes in, and tries the same stunt on a different cashier... the cashier says `well, I gotta do it this way to make sure they match items in the cart' and lo and behold, the guy had more crap coupons then legit coupons.. `you didn't buy that sir, you can't use more then 1 manufacturer and 1 store coupon on this item, double coupons only works up to 1 dollar' so, the guy gets all irate and pissy with `I've been in this store for 4 hours getting my groceries, and now you're going to make me sort through all these coupons? give me your manager, I'm gonna get you fired' manager comes over, looks at the guy, looks at the 5 carts worth of groceries, sees the stack of coupons, and says `you;re the guy who stole 800 dollars worth of groceries last week aren't you?' the guy got really pissed at that, and starts yelling, and tantruming `I'll never shop here again, I'll take my business to safeway-' manager cut in with `what business? stealing is not business' so the guy stalks out, giant wad of coupons in hand, and we never see him again... the cashier got a pay raise for stopping that idiot too,

another situation where the customer is almost never right is in my field: computers. I had a trouble user ( had a post about it) who would sit at his computer all day and `improve its efficiency' before calling me up to say its broken, I don't know whats wrong with it, I don't understand, you guys need to fix it so it stays fixed etc.' so, I'd spend 2-6 hours per week working on this guys computer that he'd screw up royaly. that is of course more time then I spend on most all of my other weekly complaints put together. so, I installed some locking software ( macintosh system 9 comes with a semi nice security/multi user feature) and had my number of problems cut down a little... he'd call to demand I take it off, because he's learned his lesson/it interferes with his work ( he was a purchasing agent who should have only needed a web browser, the database of inventory, and microsoft office) or it wasn;t fair. he then later called up to say he couldn't getonline for some reason, so I went out and discovered he'd tried copying the system folder off of his co-workers computer, to try adn disable the security on his.. he also lied about it `I dunno I just needed a single file from there' I was pissed. I took his account, and threw it to the bottom level of security which basicaly made his computer a dummy terminal, that he couldn't save any files on, or use anythign but IE5, netscape 6, office, and filemaker. he of course no longer works here ( not my doing, his own undoing ) which solved the problem. the point of that whole pointless thing is, in computers, if you do something to screw a computer up, then blame it on the tech guy, the tech guy generaly takes it pesonaly. my intercompany `warranty' does not cover tampering with settings you don't belong in, and programs you downloaded and installed yourself.

on the recieving end of problems, last night my appartment complex had the water turned off ( pipe broke in the parking lot) the plumbers came out, stared at the mudhole for about 3 hours, then left. I called the emergency repairs line, asking when we were going to get our water back, and the lady was like ` I dunno, morning?' she also didn;t offer any helpful advice, or even offer any appologies ( you know, the `I'm sorry, we had a pipe break, and it won't be fixed until morning.') I bet if our apartment manager lived on the property, the water would have been fixed a lot sooner, like that night. I think I;m going to call the health department and complain to them, because not having water, and not warning people that its going to be off is more likely then not Illegal ( how the hell do you flush a toilet without water?)

oh well, enough of that...
    -rich