Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever had the pleasure of moving a slate pool table?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I never realized how heavy a fullsize slate pool table was until 5 of us were trying to get the thing into my friend's basement.

We ended up hooking a tow strap to it, and hooked it to my Blazer and I lowered it in. (yes, that was my idea).

It's NOT coming back out. Any idea how much one of those weighs?

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Mine is 3 piece slate and we had to completely take it apart to move it. And yes they are very heavy. Each piece probably weighed about 80 lbs a piece thats not including the table. I'm only guessing on the weight though.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i helped move a 3 pice slate table that was solid oak, and the slate was about 1 1/2" thick, and she lived on the second floor in her town house, holy crap what a backbreaker!!!!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am not supposed to lift more than 15 lbs so you can bet I won't be doing that!!

5. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not supposed to lift more than 15 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thats quite a limit. Seems like just doing alot of regular stuff puts more that 15lbs of stress on stuff.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know about a pool table but me and a buddy (yes just the two of us back when I was young and stupider) were workin for an antique store and moved a 3 some odd foot by 12 some odd foot 2 inch thick marble top for a antique soda fountain. Was the whole damn thing from the back area for glasses and what not to the bar stools out front. Cost like 15,000 bucks for the whole setup. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    ya i helped move a 3 pice slate table that was solid oak, and the slate was about 1 1/2" thick, and she lived on the second floor in her town house, holy crap what a backbreaker!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, I'd have hated to have had to move one UP. Just up onto the porch and to the top of the stairs was bad enough.

Here I just finish a quick job for my mom's friend laying like 60-80 landscaping blocks, and I think I can go rest, then my friend asks for help moving a pool table. Not a big deal I thought. I was quick to think of a way to use a vehicle to our advantage after I got there.

It was 1.5" thick slate, all one huge solid piece.

"If all else fails, use the winch" I say.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Before I joined the military I use to help a friend of mine recover and move table from pool hall and homes. The big 9ft table are a beast. 3 peices of slate, 175Lbs of piece. The home tables arent near as thick and weigh half as much

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes, been there done that, got the T-shirt. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Also, you would be surprised at how heavy a fullsized, real arcade pinball machine is.. HEAVY

John

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My dad and I drug ours down to our basement when I was somewhere around 10 or 12. NOT FUN! My brother just called me the other day to ask if he could smash it up to get it out of there, he and his friends couldn't move it. I told him if anyone smashes it, it'll be me, and ah nevermind...

11. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

yep been there too.

its something you do once yourself then pay someone to do it the next time.