Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever have that "oh ***t!" moment at work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 28, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ever have that \"oh ***t!\" moment at work?

I just did... I'm going 34 floors down in a few minutes to retrieve my heart...

Other IT guys have probably had these "oh ***t!" moments in front of a server...
    I'm working on a disaster recover/failover system for my company's 6 New York City sites. 99% of a failure recovery will occur by VBScript.
    I just tested a batch I worked on last week against a primary production server, and got a very unexpected result. I opened the batch to look at it and saw the first line was "Del [<---The delete command]..." and that's where my throat tightened up... I thought I'd just wiped out my most important server in one fell swoop...

Turns out it's fine, the delete command just deleted a log file on my laptop, nothing on the server. The batch is called by a vbscript over and over with a different argument each time, that's why I thought the del command ran against every share on the server. I NEVER write scripts that can delete critical data without labelling them explicitly, so good to know I can still trust myself...

PHEW.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: Ever have that \"oh ***t!\" moment at work?

Well this one time, I was making patty melts and uhhhh the hamburger caught on fire so I threw them together and on plates and as they were taken away I saw they were actually super rare.......

Good think Gettysburg, SD people like raw meat

Anyway, yours sounds more important

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I think i may have ya beat,

I was riding along with a fellow co-worker, driving a tow truck, we got called out to recover a pest control van that was pre-treating a new home build, the van driver drove down this little hill to the back of the house and when he tried to back out the van couldn't make it up the hill and was starting to slid to the side of another hill, so it was seriously off camber to the right, passenger side, anyway, down at the bottom of the hill was the garage wall, with no roof yet, this house was being built in the mountainside, so only about 4 feet of the wall was above ground. (just trying to give you a visual), anyway, we hooked up the cable and hooks to the van, started pulling it up the hill and all of the sudden BAM !! the van took off down the hill and smashed into the garage wall.

No one was hurt, or near it when it did this, but my first thought was the cable snapped or something, after all was stopped, we figured the winch had broke and freewheeled for no reason.
    Such a helpless feeling watching a vehicle rolling down a hill, and you can't do anything about it. It did not go through the wall or anything, just stopped, smashed in the front end, both airbags, the whole nine yards.

From where the truck was sitting during the start of the recovery, it was only about 25 ft to the wall, we pulled it up the hill another 10 before the winch broke.

Something i learned from this experience,,,don't trust those winches for anything. Even a commercial rated 15,000lbs winch trying to pull out a 6000lbs van broke.

OH yeah, we said "oh sh!t"

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OH yeah, we said "oh sh!t"

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH !!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well this one time, I was making patty melts and uhhhh the hamburger caught on fire so I threw them together and on plates and as they were taken away I saw they were actually super rare.......

Good think Gettysburg, SD people like raw meat

Anyway, yours sounds more important

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That's like the time I served rotisserie chicken...it looked done, but after the dude had walked away I noticed there were still 20 minutes left on the timer. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I think I just ran the "del" command on his insides. And there was that time at work when the cat that I was feeding decided to die and I had to call the owners and tell them since I was the only one there on a Sunday. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just tested a batch I worked on last week against a primary production server ,

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame on you. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I accidentally changed a policy in Exchange for the entire company instead of one person like I thought I was doing and forced a mid-day password change on about 1,100 users /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I almost got fired /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahh, Cheryl, you must be at my corp office...

[ QUOTE ]
    Shame on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

These scripts are just to enumerate ACL's to textfile for recreation on a backup server, I'd never (consciously) 'test' a modifier script against a live box (my boss thinks I'm a wuss cause I pre-test so much)... No really!

Then there was that time I accidentally knocked the power cable out of a switch that was streaming audio for a radio station...In the middle of a commercial break.../forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Had a service tech of mine tighten up a flare fitting on the bottom of a discharge oil seperator on a 150 hp parallel
    refrigeration rack in a grocery store,,,,he didn't back up the fitting with a wrench and snapped the valve clean off the tank. The rack holds 1800 lbs of refrigerant 22 and about 12 gallons of oil.about 75% got blown out before we could get everything valved off.The store was fogged with the refrigerant and oil mist,The customers all ran out of the store,,the fire department showed up,,all of the product in the produce area and any uncovered food product had to be thrown out,,Customers tried to sue for being gassed,,,yea we said OH SH*T!!!!!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Yeah, I'd say that's pretty bad...

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Had a service tech of mine tighten up a flare fitting on the bottom of a discharge oil seperator on a 150 hp parallel
    refrigeration rack in a grocery store,,,,he didn't back up the fitting with a wrench and snapped the valve clean off the tank. The rack holds 1800 lbs of refrigerant 22 and about 12 gallons of oil.about 75% got blown out before we could get everything valved off.The store was fogged with the refrigerant and oil mist,The customers all ran out of the store,,the fire department showed up,,all of the product in the produce area and any uncovered food product had to be thrown out,,Customers tried to sue for being gassed,,,yea we said OH SH*T!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

That would have been fun to watch!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yup. Standing next to 6 pounds of C-4. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

last summer i was installing a lawn in one of those "fancy" subdivisions and i seen a guy back a dumptruck(fully loaded with topsoil) into an inground pool. there was probably 5 guys standing right there when it happened and from where i was it didnt look like they even warned the guy where he was backing. moron. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif