Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever have this problem with a 52" swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Art'74, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Blazer Frame 014.jpg

Outside in

Blazer Frame 012.jpg

Inside out

Blazer Frame 013.jpg

Front

I am working on a '74 Blazer frame doing a 52" front spring swap. As you can see the bottom hangar isn't exactly snugging up to the frame. (I know I don't have all the holes drill, etc. just doing a mock up for now)

Anyone else every have this problem?( I have searched and not seen this type scenario) If so, please advise your fix or if I am doing something wrong, straighten me out. I am all ears.

Art

Blazer Frame 014.jpg

Blazer Frame 012.jpg

Blazer Frame 013.jpg

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I must say, you are the first 73-80 person I've seen do 52s... the frames kick up and are slightly different, makes me wonder if its an issue undiscussed yet.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

this isnt suprising especially since kert is having problems with his b-52 kits. i think he made his for 73-80 frame not 81-and up and had issues simialiar to this

4. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

I did the swap on my 74 and had the same issue. I plan on milling some wedges to fill the gaps and then run the front bolt through it. The wedge will be welded to the frame.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've done it before. i was going to tweak the brackets to hug the bottom of the frame.

IMAG0012.JPG

6. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

I didn't think I was the lone ranger on this, just never saw it discussed or shown.

Yeah the wedge welded is an idea. I thought of a bushing type fix welded at the top and bolted thru as you suggest. Also, I am going to form some plate to fill in the frame where it U's in on the inside of the frame and weld it solid there.

It always takes fabrication when your fabricating.

I would love to hear Kert's input or thoughts. All of his work is top shelf and I know if he has input it would be solid.

By the way, it can't be said enough, the folks on this forum are the best.

Art