Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever hear of HTP welders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 10, 2004.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys & gals-

Wondering if there are any CK5 folks out here who have experience with HTP welders. I know someone looking to get into a decent 220v welder (for welding 1/2" primarily), and noticed the HTP units on eBay were a couple hundred dollars less than the Miller/Lincoln models.

I'd just like to know how their heavier units work overall, if you've ever experienced problems, if its an American made unit, and how the company was to deal with.

All help greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

-Dan

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ive seen the name in welding today... but there arent that many out there in iinudstry as far as I know... and I have had no experience with them other than using some of thier plasma tips once....
    check the welding forums... someone will know
    sorry I cant help more...
    buy a blue or red one and forget the rest... parts service and availablity .... HTP cant match any of those
    cam

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Dan, if you need a big welder, you might want to check out the MM210. It will burn 3/8" in a single pass (you could weld 1/2" with a few passes). The price isn't too bad either if you want to use ebay. I ended up buying mine from this same seller. The price was $300 less than the local guys, and it arrived in two days from Dallas.

I also agree that you'll have much better luck with getting parts and service for a blue or red welder.

BIGJ

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Try an ESAB. Killer welders, relatively new, and priced a bit lower IIRC. We got all new (15) ESABs at Dutec to replace our old Hobarts, and they were heads and shoulders better...love the bigger 3 phase ones. You'd need to do a little research into the smaller units though. Oh, and 1/2" is huge to weld with a single pass in a single phase. Who is your friend and what exactly is he doing with it? Commercial or home use? 1 phase or 3?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Farm and Fleet has the Hobart 175 on sale for $499 this weekend.

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Its a friend of a friend, and he's doing some fab work on a dozer out on the east coast.

He's looking for a fairly heavy welder, and wants to spend a tad less than $1500.

-Dan