Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever notice how long it takes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, May 31, 2005.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

To search for stuff on CK5? Your search always finds 'other' stuff that you can't help but read!

Anyway, I'm going to keep looking but I'm hoping someone can answer a question that I'm certain I won't find the answer to;

None of my power windows are working on my Burb. The front one was wonky for a while, a loose power or ground I assume as a swift kick to the bottom of the door got it going. Now nothing on any of them. I guess what I'm looking for is a description of the path that power takes to the window. Battery, fuse...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jason.

2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, my dog also thanks you, since she can't go anywhere with me in this heat. :(

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Let's see how many times I can reply to my own post lol. Here's what I've found so far.

Power is supposed to come from the fuse block to window via pink wire. There is no power at the switch from the pink wire. But no fuse either? The pink lead just fits into the fuse block directly. There are two spots labelled WDO available I've tried both, no luck. I've tried supplying power to the window switch directly with no luck. And did the same for the passenger window with no luck. Shouldn't supplying power directly solve any probs, at least for an instant?

Just one more piece of history, when I last had problems, I discovered that a circuit breaker? (silver rectangular jobie plugged into the fuse panel) was getting REALLY hot. Changed these out a couple of times for temporary fixes.

Any ideas? Was I shorting out somewhere and burnt out the motors? Sure is hot without A/C and only vent wings. LOL

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

LOL ok is there a record? I'm either amusing or annoying all you guys. I'm really sorry if it's the latter.

So I was wrong, as I assumed, and there was infact a fuse for the windows. It was hard to read. Anyway I guess it is shorting out since the fuses blow immediately. Soooo what the heck can I do now? Thanks for putting up with all this. :D Jason.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

your doin the right thing by searching, cause i dont know anything about your problem.. lol i cant help

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

your problem sounds like one I had, I helped track down a similar issue just like yours.

loosen the door panel, space it out ect, remover the screws that secure it to the door, alot of times, previous owners may have a window to replace, or a maintence issue and when they reinstall the door panel, some where along the way they catch a wire or more then one wire with a screw,

add a few thousand miles of vibration and chaffing and it can ground out the wire if it didnt do it right away.

also pulling up, moving door panels and wires while someone plays with the switch and replaces fuses. Also, inspect the switches for streched and pulled wires, and clean any spilled soda, dust ect that may have built up over the years.

another way to track it down is to disconnect every door, if it doesnt blow the switch fuse, start putting the doors back on one by one untill it pops, also check the runner wires to make sure someone didnt splice into it while trying to hook up some aux or acc item.

good luck!

just grab some patience, a friend, and a few beers :waytogo:

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Well it seems as though I've been suffering more than one problem.

Part of why I was having difficulty diagnosing the problem is that I have more than one. The drivers door window motor was burnt out. And I know that the rear drivers side burnt out last year. Probably the passenger is as well, though I'll have to figure that out tomorrow.

My real concern now is WHY? I find it hard to believe that protected by a fuse and circuit breaker that the motors are burning out. On the other hand why else would they be all going at the same time?

So here is my new question; Is it possible that the burnt out motors are causing the fuse to blow over and over?

8. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

If the brushes in the motor wear out the amature will short out causing the fuses to blow. I've had problems with the motors leaking grease from the gear case and getting on the armature causing erratic operation, the grease would act as an insulator causing the brushes to not contact the armature.

9. supersize75k5

makes sence to a sencless person :thumb:

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Good info. But would the fuse blow only when running the affected motor or any of them?

11. supersize75k5

hmm

I think if you had the bad motor diconected the fuse should not blow, I really think its a wire grounding out,

electrical issues are F U N