Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ever overhaul a 205?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by BigMac, May 29, 2002.

1. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I went to Frank Reins last wekend and smoked my tansfer case. It apears I've lost the rear output shaft bearing. I have to believe my drive shaft isn't supposed to look like its riding on a camshft.

I need to either replace the 205 or get it repaired. I know I can get a 205 from AAA Trucks, but who is to say it wont need work too. Anybody ever get one overhauled in the Bay Area?

This doesn't seem like the right place to post this question but I was hoping for a little local help. I really don't want to send my TC to the midwest....

TIA

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Well I checked around today.... $1200 bucks to overhaul it.... I asked how much if I brought the case in and was quoted $1000. Only 200 bucks to install it! Something is wrong with that.

Anyway 1200 bucks isn't an option for me right now so I'll be pickin up another TC. I think for that kind of money I'll give the overhaul a whirl myself..

Anybody ever get one done for less than a grand?

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It can't be that difficult to do. A t-case isnt really that complicated. If your fairly mechanically compitent, take it apart and see what happens. Thats what I do most of the time. I havent had any problems yet. Give it a shot.

4. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Well I climbed under my truck Friday to begin pulling out the TC. I poped out the driveline and was inspecting the output scratching my head a little... Nothing seemed to be wong with the bearing. It had no play to speak of and spum real smooth.... HMMMMM

I rolled over to drag out the drive shaft and one of the bearing caps had fallen off????????? I took a good look and HOLY CRAP! I cannot believe it didn't tear anything up. The needle bearing had turned to mostly powder. The center section had developed a definit taper with deep groove cut into it.

Yeehaaaw here is to mis diagnosis!
    So I am spending the money for the TC on a field press for ball joints and u joints.. and a new ring and pinion....

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

EXCELLENT!

Aren't you glad you did the work yourself!

Excellent JOB!

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Oh yeh!

At 1200 bucks there was never another option. For that kinda money I could get myself into a nice 700r tranny... or rebuild both axles....or , yeh never any other choices. Besides, thats why I bought an old truck.... to tinker on it. Im just super happy I didn't have to pull out that cast iron tc.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ugh... don't remind me.. I will doing that to my th350/203 and putting in a sm465/203/205.. someday.. whenever my doubler gets here.